Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its a simple question . how has your guys front tired been wearing down? i seem to chew one up every season. and the tread dont even seem to ware down much. but the tire looses its structure and starts collapsing on its self. my assumption is that 1 being a 400lbs rider with a heavy bike puts accelerated ware on it while braking but still i wouldn't think id chew em up that fast. is this normal for any one else?

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Might want to consider doing double dark. Rear tire up front with rotation arrow backwards. I ran a Pireli 150/80-16 rear up front for years and weigh in at 290#. Plenty of thread left, but went to an HD 130 wheel up front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
My stock front bridgestone is cupped pretty bad and howls like crazy just off a straight line, less so with a little more lean. Dead straight has gotten a little noisy but not too bad. The only scary thing about having it cup the way it has it the propensity for the bars to shake a little while slowing through 30mph or so. It still sticks in corners and stops well despite the cupping problem. The rear tire is down to the bars and a replacement for both is in the garage waiting to be levered on and balanced up, time is forever escaping me and I've put less than 200 miles on the odo so far this year.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might want to consider doing double dark. Rear tire up front with rotation arrow backwards. I ran a Pireli 150/80-16 rear up front for years and weigh in at 290#. Plenty of thread left, but went to an HD 130 wheel up front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
glad you brought that up. when i bought the bike it had a night dragon on the front and after looking at the tread it was a rear night dragon as well. i might do that again. that tire took some real abuse. and it even split on me and i was still able to limp it home 350+ miles after if had a 3 inch by 1cm crack down the center.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had Bridgestones om ,mine for a while and loved them. I only went to Avons to see if I would get better wear, and,,, just to try them.
Being a,,, larger rider, it sounds like maybe your tyre pressures are too low. I run 36lb as a 91kg rider. I would think at less 38lb pressure for you, if not a tad more. I loaded my bike up and put up 2 1/2 thousand miles on her, but did not up the pressure enough. The rear tyre cupped big time. No problems now, since I up the pressure when loaded. 2 thousand miles around Tasmania at Xmas and no problems with unusual wear, with 44lb in the rear tyre, 38lb in the front.

Enjoy

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i normally run about -30-35 in the read but i have a car tire on the rear and front i run 35-40 i think closer to 35. i need to check i havnt since the start of winter. i was really impressed with how long the night dragon held up. considering its damage. i might seem about doing this again. so whats the deal with the rotation arrows pointing backwards? whats that do ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
What does tire cupping means? I don't understand it. I appreciate an explanation or a photo of the ware pattern.

My concern is my bike has 8200 miles on the clock with the original OEM rear tire Bridgestone. The front has been changed by the original owner but not the back one.

The tire looks to be in ok condition with a bit of ware but still have tread on it and could go another 1000 miles or so. I am worried because most of the posters talks about 6000 miles life of the tire.

I am 215 lbs 6'-1" and always have the tires around 40 psi cold. Use both brakes front and rare gently.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cupping is basically the tire loosing its structure integrity. the tires rubber had "dents" in it or a "cup" shape. when i finally changed my 1st front tire i had a crack down the center of it and about 6-7 golf ball size dents staggered through out the tire. you notice this big time when it starts getting bad. perhaps not as fast on the rear but the front you will get a real nasty vibration in your whole front in and a death wobble will develop.

also ive heard people refer to this type of ware as cupping but also called having a band collapse. there will be a ring that goes all the way around your tire where part of it is indented so your whole tire looks slightly lop sided. once the tire wares down you start to notice this defect more and more because you will get a flat spot to one side of your tire rather then in the center of it like normal ware would do.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
cupping is basically the tire loosing its structure integrity. the tires rubber had "dents" in it or a "cup" shape. when i finally changed my 1st front tire i had a crack down the center of it and about 6-7 golf ball size dents staggered through out the tire. you notice this big time when it starts getting bad. perhaps not as fast on the rear but the front you will get a real nasty vibration in your whole front in and a death wobble will develop.

also ive heard people refer to this type of ware as cupping but also called having a band collapse. there will be a ring that goes all the way around your tire where part of it is indented so your whole tire looks slightly lop sided. once the tire wares down you start to notice this defect more and more because you will get a flat spot to one side of your tire rather then in the center of it like normal ware would do.
Yes sir,just like my nomad ,7800 miles,lookn like you describe,Brand new sneakers goin on tues,both tires pretty shot,No wobble though,staying with the bridgestones,Like em:laugh2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill never put another Dunlap on my bike again. had a bridge stone once it was not horrible but it didnt wow me. ive really enjoyed using shinko tires and kenda kruz tires though. both hold up well are pretty easy on the wallet and have given me the least amount of "road dancing" that Dunlap was horrible about following grooves and defects in the road. these others werent so bad.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
ill never put another Dunlap on my bike again. had a bridge stone once it was not horrible but it didnt wow me. ive really enjoyed using shinko tires and kenda kruz tires though. both hold up well are pretty easy on the wallet and have given me the least amount of "road dancing" that Dunlap was horrible about following grooves and defects in the road. these others werent so bad.
Put shinkos on my 900,know they are a cheaper tire,,,,but I was very Happy with them:smile2:

·
Registered
361 Posts
i normally run about -30-35 in the read but i have a car tire on the rear and front i run 35-40 i think closer to 35. i need to check i havnt since the start of winter. i was really impressed with how long the night dragon held up. considering its damage. i might seem about doing this again. so whats the deal with the rotation arrows pointing backwards? whats that do ?
Hey RC, we run Bridgy's on our beast. I've been running mine at 40PSI (46-8pis rear) and currently getting around 18thou Km out of fronts.
Bear in mind we ride a fully kitted beast and always two up. I found using the factory recommended pressures were too low and consequently destroyed tyres (rear tyre is a different issue). The tyres still wear odd to what I'm used to on sports tourers but none the less the bike handles well and firmly planted with the pressures we run.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I run Bridgestone Exedra max's front and rear with a flipped rear in the front. The reason for turning the rear backwards (for the science of it you need to Google it) but generally speaking it's the way the cords are overlapped when making the tire. If you put it on with the directional arrow forward, when breaking hard it tends to pull the cords apart. Mounting it backwards reverses that. I'm on my second season with mine and they look great still.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I run Bridgestone Exedra max's front and rear with a flipped rear in the front. The reason for turning the rear backwards (for the science of it you need to Google it) but generally speaking it's the way the cords are overlapped when making the tire. If you put it on with the directional arrow forward, when breaking hard it tends to pull the cords apart. Mounting it backwards reverses that. I'm on my second season with mine and they look great still.
thanks for the simple answer . im wondering if i am running a bit low on the psi and if that's not causing faster ware. next time i put it up on the lift ima check every thing out. i know my rear is spot on for the car tire i have played with it a lot and came up with running about 32 psi other wise it handles a bit funky. and my ware on is is next to nothing almost 3 seasons later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts