Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to change the hub on my 2012 Vulcan vn 900 b Classic and i cant find the information on the offset for the front tire, i cant find on line, YouTube and the dealership wont tell me. I orderd a online repair manual from clymer but it does not have that information included, does anyone have the offset numbers, or just go out and measure theres. Rim RK EXCELL J16M/CXMT3.00DOT 10`11

·
Registered
383 Posts
I might be able to help with this. I've never changed a front wheel on a bike before, but after watching videos, I think i know what's happening. The primary alignment is the brake rotor caliper (attaching to the left fork on the Vulcan 900), so basically you eyeball this, which is why you can't find the spec anywhere. Basically, after putting the hub spacers back in place, put a bit of grease on the axle and gently tap is back through the fork tubes. After eyeballing the ends of the axle, sticking out comfortably on both sides of the split forks, gentle tighten the fork pinch screws on only one side of the axle (opposite where the axle nut goes). Then spread the disk brake pads before putting the brake caliper back in place. Then install the caliper bolts and torque to normal. Then pump the front brakes to get the pads back next to the brake rotor. This will center the hub (and brake rotor) to the caliper. Then get the bike off the stand and bounce on it a few times and pump the front brake, to get the hub exactly centered with the caliper. Then tighten everything else.

The result is, you should get the hub aligned with the caliper, and the axle should be in position between the split part of the front forks. Please watch some videos first, to make sure I explained all of this correctly. Please make sure you understand it, before you try putting the wheel back on.

Here is one video I watched.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Gee whiz dude, you replaced a hub within a spoked wheel, on a classic? You're brave. I've seen run out testers for bicycle wheels. Just center the wheel over the hub and test and align the spokes using the run out tester by spinning the wheel, over and over again until you get it aligned properly.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Not only the axial and radial runout, but to get the offset too, well, that is a helluva undertaking. Or, it at least seems to be to a guy who tried that on a 10-speed bike about 40 years ago, and ended up getting a different wheel assembly instead. LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts