Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know another tire question. I have read until nuts turning blue :D (sorry). I went with a 200 Mez on the rear last year and now hit 9950 miles and front in now gone.

Dealer has a the old stock Dunlop 404 in stock and not sure I can complain about 9950 miles but thinking a Kendra or Mez for the front. I know the 90/90 can be a little tight but nothing a file can't fix.

Is the Mez worth the extra $45 bucks. I know that seems low in price but will it get me more miles really a truly. The Rear tire is a totally different subject in my opinion and glad I went the Mez route.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
151 Posts
Use exedra max 2.... Are tremendous!

Pirelli night dragon is very good but softer than exedras i think

Cuaderno con Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the metz may give a little extended life for mileage, but a lot better handling in all weather conditions, it should track a little better being wider , over tar snakes. I know its a tight fit, but raising the front fender a little may help ... this would of course, result in you having to reposition the brackets slightly.

On a personal note ... I prefer matched sets, front and rear. Due to the rear wearing out quicker than the front, it does take a little time to get a full tire cycle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Strong +1 on the Metz 880 90/90, for a full tell take a look at my post on Daboo's thread "Down I went...". Also +1 on whiting57's remark about matched pairs, I wouldn't consider not having matched make/model tires on my bike. I replaced both stock Dunlops at 7K miiles (front 80% worn, rear 95% worn), and I am very happy w/ the Metz 880s, they handle MUCH better than the Dunnies, and I've got 4.5K miles on them now and they appear to be only ~25% worn. I will probably stick with Metzs, unless I come up needing to replace both at the same time, in which case I may try a set of Pirelli Night Dragons just to satisfy my curiousity, but they'd have to be significantly better handling and/or longer wearing than the Metz's for me to stick w/ them, which I don't think would be the case. I have no opinion on Kendra, Avon, or other brands, but I do think Dunlop 404s are junk, and I won't ever run them again.

IMO, if you go w/ a Metz 90/90, you won't be disappointed, at least not with the handling and ride quality- SH.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the input, sometimes you just need the sanity check. I actually went with the Metz Marathon MH90-21 which is the same tire but a spec. check puts it at a 80/90-21 so no issue(not saying not that there would be on the 90/90) but still the upgraded Metz Marathon series.
Again thanks

·
Registered
507 Posts
Have heard really good things about the Pirelli MT Route 66's too.

I will be getting new tires for my custom this winter, so it is always good to read another tire thread and get some opinions of those that have tries different tires out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just got the Night Dragons this spring. Love them. Went 90/90 on front, extended bracket holes for clearance. Front doesn't follow cracks anymore.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts