Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker has a 2004 2K and when he got it the front tire was showing a lot of cupping. He has gotten a new front tire already and is wondering what to look for to keep the new tire from doing the same. I told him to check the air pressure and possibly boost it up a little. Anything else to check?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Air pressure is the leading cause. Some tires tend to cup easier than others with multi compound tires being more apt to, harder in the center for long wear, softer on the sides for better grip. Most stock, stock replacements tend to cup more from my experience.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The V2K I had was a pain for that. I finally came to the conclusion that multi compound tires and riding too hard in curvy roads all the time was my problem. I did get a bit better wear by boosting the psi to the max on the sidewall of the metz I wore on the front.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep same issue here, bumped up the pressures at both ends as the factory recommendations worked out to be too low.

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I only had cupping problems with the original Bridgestone Battleax. Never was an issue with the two Metz front tires. I don't think the cupping on the OEM tire was simply because it was an OEM tire, only that it was the nature of that tire. Had no handling complaints at all with the Bridgestone, only that it cupped and was noisy in the turns. Even with the cupping tread life was same/similar as I got from the Metz.

Have a Dunlop Excedra Max on the front now. Too early to tell how that one is going to last. No performance complaints at this time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, we'll adjust the tire pressure and keep a eye on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts