Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just recently moved into the city and have to use the interstate to get to work (Washington D.C) people CRUISE here at 80 mph and any less youre gettin ran over. As we all know, our beloved 900 is very strung out at those speeds. I was wondering how bad putting both pulleys on will affecxt acceleration. I have 1 concern, I just got it lowered and I plan on putting the 240 tire/ fender kit on and wondering if there will be any rubbing issues that a simple "trim" can't take care of. I love my bike but if I can't fix this little "issue" then I will either be riding it less or getting another bike :confused:

Stay safe guys!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
well sean living in cali the speed here is 80mph or ran over I did just the front and really like it. Every so often I look for a 6th gear but its never been such an issue to make me look for a bigger bike.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, is there any concern with the lowering plus 240x18 rear tire and new fender?

if i do do a pulley, or both, it will be after i redo the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
sorry brother, I have no experience with that.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Depends on the fender. Seems like the width and the swingarm might be a problem. Most people are doing a 230 on stock rim.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Depends on the fender. Seems like the width and the swingarm might be a problem. Most people are doing a 230 on stock rim.
im doing the mimic 240 conv, also mortons 7* trees but not sure that matters for the rubbing issue.

i know the front pulley is bigger so it pulls the tire forward and i thought the rear was smaller so itd pull the tire backwards. correct me if im wrong but would that place the tire right back stock but still have the lower RPM advantage? or am I sadly mistaken. If I do one I will want to do the other as well, I'm all about maximizing gains. I know this will make acceleration slower but I'm sure it will still get up and go pretty quickly.

if worse comes to worse then I might just deal with it. i could always take the long way to work :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
The tire alone will change rpm's then you could use just the rear pulley to change it more & see if that's good for the interstate.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I punched the numbers into gearing commander and here are the results.

This is for the 240 and both pulleys.
tire circumference stock 78.29 240/40 80.3
total difference in final drive -13.65%
rpm at 80 mph 3919, 620 rpm difference.
With your power curve you should have no problem with the difference.

I have a rear pulley and can say the smaller pulley allows the tire to move back. I like the difference with just -7.6%.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I punched the numbers into gearing commander and here are the results.

This is for the 240 and both pulleys.
tire circumference stock 78.29 240/40 80.3
total difference in final drive -13.65%
rpm at 80 mph 3919, 620 rpm difference.
With your power curve you should have no problem with the difference.

I have a rear pulley and can say the smaller pulley allows the tire to move back. I like the difference with just -7.6%.
thats great news, i was hoping itd be under 4k at 80, thats around the cruising range not to get ran over here. you think the tire would stay in or around the same location with the rear pulley being smaller and the front pulley being larger?

front pulley is +2 and rear pulley is -4

if together they keep the tire around the stock loacation then i think i might go ahead and purchase this in the very near future and slowly save for the wide tire kit (everything together is close to $3000)

·
Registered
71 Posts
With the rear tire and the rear Pulley.... you'd Definitely notice a lower RPM drop. I'd stick with the rear pulley first, and then the larger rear tire. i have a slightly taller rear tire and the front pulley, and my tire is close (not rubbin) to the rear mud flap. The only problem is I want to lower the bike, but everything is too close right now for lowering. I'm gonna have to lose the front pulley and add the rear pulley so I can lower the bike down. Either that or get a new fender that hides that big 'ol gap over the back tire...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I now have both SW pulleys installed in my ride. Adding only one either the front or rear only provides minimal difference so I highly recommend both. If you're going to run only one I recommend the front one because is way cheaper and truly there is not much difference between both if only running one. I did not experienced any powerloss on the bottom end at all. I instead feel bike takes off faster than before and now very smooth at higher speeds. Very few have done both pulley at the same time so you won't find good advise on running both at the same time, the vere few I found were favorable. Now would it work on a 240? not sure but mine sure runs good with my 200. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Fellas, I dont know if your interested or not but heres a post I put in engine work a couple of days ago describing my experience with the scootworks pulleys but I remain with the stock sized tires.
Here's a follow up to my Scoot Works pulley swap. I brought the GPS along on the first ride to compare it with my instruments and found my speedometer now reads 2 mph lower than the GPS where it was 4-5 higher before. My Odometer read 1 mile per 100 high before now it read 18.1 miles for 19.78 miles traveled by Gps, thats like 8 1/2 miles per 100 low. I suppose for the sake of accuracy I may invest in a Speedo Healer but right now I'm reveling in the fact that she runs great on the open road. I noticed no difference coming off the line although I'm not a racer I was paying pretty close attention to how she responded coming off the line and I was quite pleased as this is what worried me the most. Tight turns at crawling speeds in the crowded parking lot NO Problem at all. I don't shift so quickly any more and she runs smoothly right up to 80 mph without winding out and still had plenty left to go. If not paying too much attention I can see my self forgetting to shift into 5th because she is running at a lower Rpm. Damn I wish I had done this sooner! The belt does make noise, but the old pulleys made noise also. The noise is different but not any louder. The engine as it accelerates drowns out the noise anyway and I will get used to the difference quickly. I took great pains trying to center the belt in the Pulley and was not able to and also found that the registration marks if used as described in the manual will cause the belt to ride to the outside of the Pulleys. One thing I found was that I forgot which side was out on the old front pulley after taking it off. I started looking at my own pictures to put the new pulley on correctly. Later on in the manual I found a sentence stating that the thicker side of the Pulley goes towards the outside of the bike. I think the money I spent on the manual was well worth it and so was the investment in the Scoot Works Pulleys.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow i feel like a jack***. The 240 kit COMES with a different pulley, stock one won't work with the 18.8.5 wheel for some reason. so I'm guessing the Scootworks pulley won't either. Anyone know if the Scootworks pulley will work with the 17x6.5 wheel for the 210 setup? This might all answer my questions. I will get one of those kits, the overdrive pulleys are secondary to this so it might make it easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts