Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 230 Avon rear tire and a lowering kit for my 09 900 Custom SE. When you guys lower the rear two inches what would you suggest lowering the front and how do you go about doing it?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would suggest lowering the rear only at first and riding it like that for a bit. I ended up leaving the front alone. Mine's a Classic, FWIW.

If you're getting a Scootworks kit, the instructions include a how-to for lowering the front by either trimming the stock springs or buying new ones.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If i may ask a question that i have wondering about is whats the point of lowering your bike, and wouldn't that give it a ruffer ride?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 230 Avon rear tire and a lowering kit for my 09 900 Custom SE. When you guys lower the rear two inches what would you suggest lowering the front and how do you go about doing it?
I'd agree with Bill. Leave it be for a bit and see how you like it. I lowered my Custom 1-1/2" at the rear shock and left the front alone. I'm quite happy with it.

If i may ask a question that i have wondering about is whats the point of lowering your bike, and wouldn't that give it a ruffer ride?
Two reasons. One is purely cosmetic. I (and others) just don't like to see the big gap between the top of the tire and the fender. I prefer seeing it tucked up. Another is to reduce the reduce seat height. This makes you feel like you're sitting "in" the bike and allows easier leg reach to the ground.

Some might argue it lowers the center of gravity, but in the case of the custom, i feel that's sort of a moot point.

As far as it being a rougher ride, not in my experience. The shock is still as adjustable for a firmer/softer ride as it was before.

The concern with lowering a bike in the rear is whether or not you have enough clearance inside the fender. You don't want to be banging into the fender as you go over bumps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually just put the 230 on last night and I lowered the rear 2". The 230 tire ends up being about an inch taller overall or 1/2" in ride height. Lowering it will not only look better but lower your center of gravity.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I've also been wondering about, that goes along with this question, is about adding a 6 degree triple tree to the front. In essence won't that lower the front of the bike some?

My goals right now are 230 tire, 2" lowering kit, 6 degree triple tree, and cobra exhaust.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One thing I've also been wondering about, that goes along with this question, is about adding a 6 degree triple tree to the front. In essence won't that lower the front of the bike some?
I've seen 2 different type of kits for that: one with and one without fork extensions. The one without extension does lower the front of the bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I lowered front & rear of my Classic. Went with Scootworks. For the front I bought the Progressive kit that comes with a Teflon insert which you trim to your liking. I lowered the rear all 3 inches but the 200 tire in the rear takes back about a 1/2 inch. Lowered the front somewhere between 1-and-1/4 to 1-and-1/2.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The point of lowering is the look and the ride. I'm 5'4" and the best thing I ever did to my bike was lower it. Whereas before lowering control was sometimes questionable; after lowering I've always felt in complete control and been able to put both feet squarely on the ground. In that respect it makes for a much safer and more comfortable riding experience.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm 6'2" and reach the ground easily on the 900 custom but I just don't like the big gap between fender and tire, hence the bigger tire and lowering kit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Technically..... by lowering only the rear, you change the Factory Geometry of the bike. So, the Correct answer is lower the front to keep the same geometry. That being said.... most people only lower the rear and don't notice significant handling issues... if we were out roadracing out bikes, then this would be MUCH more of an issue than it is for us out cruising and road-trippin...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I actually prefer the feel and handling with just the rear lowered, but it's a very minor difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts