Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size nut is on the front pulley?

I'm putting on a new Baron's pulley tomorrow, and want to to make sure I have all the necessary tools.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
What size nut is on the front pulley?

I'm putting on a new Baron's pulley tomorrow, and want to to make sure I have all the necessary tools.
this is not about the nut size, But I would suggest to take a ride before putting it on, make note of all the noises that the bike makes , like clutch and belt .

So when you put the new pulley on and you hear something new , you will know it is the pulley.

Wish I had taken a ride and noted all noises, before putting mine on. I have a whine , but I think it is just the 900 noise everyone talks about, won't be sure till I hear another 900.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll pick one up when I take the oil back.

I had to work half a day, so I didn't get to the pulley.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have anything that large, and most of my stuff is metric anymore. I have to take back the oil for recycling anyway.

I'm just hoping I can break it free w/o using an impact wrench. It would be nice if I could avoid that $100 expense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The impact gun couldnt break the nut loose on my '97... I had to use a ratchet with a 4' cheater bar to break it free...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, as it happens, I wound up spending the 100 for the impact wrench. It probably would have been cheaper to take it to a shop... The funny bit, it was the missus that insisted I just use the impact wrench.

Thanks for all the help. It would have been an extra trip to the parts store to get the right size socket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
this is not about the nut size, But I would suggest to take a ride before putting it on, make note of all the noises that the bike makes , like clutch and belt .

So when you put the new pulley on and you hear something new , you will know it is the pulley.

Wish I had taken a ride and noted all noises, before putting mine on. I have a whine , but I think it is just the 900 noise everyone talks about, won't be sure till I hear another 900.
Installed my Baron's front pulley a few days ago and noticed a whine right away. Took the pulley cover off and noticed the belt was lightly rubbing against the lower fins. My belt was also a bit on the loose side so it was running lower in the case and added to the rubbing. I grounded off the corners of the fins and tightened up the belt and the whine is gone.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts