Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple years ago I bought a Baron front pulley. Now its time for new tires and I'm seriously considering a Shinko 777 170/80 rear tire over the stock 180/70 in order to lower rpms further.

I found some old posts but nothing seemed concrete in terms of whether the taller tire will rub since I'm running the front pulley.

So....what's the final word on the ability to run a front pulley AND the 170/80 tire.

Btw, the Shinko rear tire at 170/80 runs at a diameter of 25.71 inches.

Thanks from Winnipeg (where we're having a shitty, long spring)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did this exact thing. Wanted the whitewall and the price was great. Fit fine and I still use a taller rear tire. When combined with the Baron front pulley, easy job, the speedo is within 1mph at 70 as measured by GPS. The onlynproblemni had was getting the whitewall white. It had a bunch bbn of blue...stuff on it. Tires were great tho.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There is only about 3/4" difference in diameter between the two, but different manufacturer sizing can be off quite a bit. The bigger clearance issue is running the 200 tire. The difference between a 180 and a 200 can run an inch or more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A couple years ago I bought a Baron front pulley. Now its time for new tires and I'm seriously considering a Shinko 777 170/80 rear tire over the stock 180/70 in order to lower rpms further.
I'm looking to make my 2010 a little more comfortable at highway speeds - she really vibrates at about 75 mph, but feels great at 65 mph.

Pulley replacement is a down-the-road solution, but for now, a taller rear tire seems like a nudge in the right direction.

How's it working out for you? The 170/80 is narrower but taller than the stock 180/70, right?

Does anyone make a 190/80? Would a 180/90 fit? or something like it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did all of the changes: both pulleys - front and back, Ivan's reflash, and taller rear tire.

I used my phone with a MPH app to check my true speed. At indicated on my bike's Speedo I'm traveling 62 mph BUT I'm really going 70 mph! At 68 - 75... I'm very happy with the vibration level at true 70 - 75! Comfortable... these changes will have transformed my stock 900 Classic from a limited use motorcycle to a do anything, go anywhere bike that will travel Superslab or back roads with equal ease.
For those of you disappointed in your 900's capabilities - don't give up!
For an additional ~$1750 - $500 for front/rear Baron gear pulleys, $350 for Ivan's reflash, $300 for a change of tires, and $550 for a new Corbin custom seat - it's all good...

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I did this exact thing. Wanted the whitewall and the price was great. Fit fine and I still use a taller rear tire. When combined with the Baron front pulley, easy job, the speedo is within 1mph at 70 as measured by GPS. The onlynproblemni had was getting the whitewall white. It had a bunch bbn of blue...stuff on it. Tires were great tho.
I use the Mr. clean eraser and I bought some cleaner for white walls. works great but with our roads they don't stay clean for long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts