Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did it. I sold the lowering kit put the metzler 200 on the rear and kept my front sw pulley. I'm not running the inner mud guard and it appears the tire after a 28 mile ride just barely rubbed a few times on that upper bar. Really wish I could find a slightly longer belt. The bike feels great. BTW I did this on a vn900LT since alot of people think you can't put a 200 on anything besides the custom. theres no fender issues it. I'ma try and adjust my suspension I have it on the lowest setting right now since I've been doing alot of solo riding since I have newborn at home.

Anyone know of a slightly larger belt? what size is the vaqueros?
Anyone else have this set up, any issues or thoughts?

and I just got to work but I'll post pics when I can, I even made a timelapse video of me and my pal struglling to put the wheel on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I'm not running the inner mud guard and it appears the tire after a 28 mile ride just barely rubbed a few times on that upper bar.
and I just got to work but I'll post pics when I can, I even made a timelapse video of me and my pal struglling to put the wheel on the bike.

With out the changes that you have done, you cannot put a 200 metz on a classic with a s/works pulley. Your rear will scrape as you have said and the interior of your bike (including the battery area ) will now be susceptible to water and road grime etc.

With the stock pulley, there is barely front or width clearance in front of the tire on my bike, how ever i still retain the splash guard and have no rubbing issues.. The splash guard is there for a reason, it not only protects the shock from debris, it protects the battery, the fuse panel and various electrical items from water damage. There is someone on here that keeps advising members that you can put a 200 metz with a s/works pulley without any changes. i for one, do not wish to be the rider cornering at speed when a bump is hit, the suspension compresses, the tire hits the frame and the bike slides sideways.

As far as i am aware, there is no alternative belt for this bike. I had the s/works pulley and removed it prior to the install of my 200 metz. I have had no issues with this installation. My recommendation would be remove the front pulley, sell it and add the s/works rear and replace the splash guard.

Far cheaper solution than a new belt and no rubbing issues..

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had the front sw pulley and the larger 200 avon with zero issues even when fully loaded and wife on the back but I never messed with the shock settings.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate all the feedback, I did a whole lot of searching for a larger belt and the only belt i found was a 160t for a lawn mower I think it was that is discontinued, I wouldn't wanna run that any way. Harley doesn't even have a belt as big, nor did any custom bike shops. The average belt size appears to be 139t. But I am going to slide the wheel back and throw the stocker front pulley back on. Personally not too worried about the mud guard however I'm not comfy with how close the wheel is to the inside. I've been wanting the rear pulley and prefer the look of the wheel being further out than in. So I might be having a front od pulley for sale soon. BTW absolutely love the feel of the 200, seems much more wanting to turn.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So what's with the 200 series rear tire thing? Is it purely for looks (the wider rear tire does look cool) or is there some sort of functional benefit from fitting the larger tire on the 9? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
So what's with the 200 series rear tire thing? Is it purely for looks (the wider rear tire does look cool) or is there some sort of functional benefit from fitting the larger tire on the 9? Just curious.
It offers a 9.5% drop in rpm,s

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I didn't think it was that much or at least is hardly noticeable over the stock tire.
yep, its that much, there was a equation chart floating around here somewhere, (i have it at home and can get it for you tomorrow if you want it)
where you put in the final drive ratio, tire size etc and it give you the rpm, mph and percentage decrease. I find a big difference around town and only use the bottom three gears, on the highway while touring at my regular cruising speed ... 65 to 68mph (105 - 110 kph), i found it to be a great improvement over stock, lower rpms, less buzzing = less fatigue. I do not run a tach, but i came feel the difference in the seat of my pants.

·
Registered
273 Posts
tire/pulley

Ok I'm now confused. I see one post where I can't go with my plan to buy a 200 tire with my SW front pulley and one that says you can with no rubbing. We all have the same VN 900 Classic which must be the same frame? I saw one earlier post about running a 180 instead of the 170 tire? If possible I want to go with the 200 but I don't want to have any rubbing of parts either. What gives?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I didn't think it was that much or at least is hardly noticeable over the sotck tire.
It's not. The difference between a stock 180/70/15 tire and a 200/70/15 tire would be a 4.4% reduction in RPM which is close to the 5.9% reduction that the SW front pulley provides.

On my bone stock 900 with a tach, to indicate 70 mph takes 3900 RPMs. 4.4% off of that would be 3728 RPMs.

To give you an idea of how much lower your RPM will be with a tire change, or a pulley change, roll your stock bike at 70 MPH, then back it down to 67 MPH.
That's the difference a 200 tire would make.

Roll it again at 70, then back it down to 66 MPH. That's the difference a SW front pulley would reduce your RPM.

A SW front pulley PLUS a 200 rear tire will reduce your cruise RPM by 10%, a significant difference. Instead of turning 3900 RPM to hit 70 MPH, your engine will now be running at 3510 RPM at the same indicated speed.
The big benefit will be that your speedometer will now be almost spot-on with this combo!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Ok I'm now confused. I see one post where I can't go with my plan to buy a 200 tire with my SW front pulley and one that says you can with no rubbing. We all have the same VN 900 Classic which must be the same frame? I saw one earlier post about running a 180 instead of the 170 tire? If possible I want to go with the 200 but I don't want to have any rubbing of parts either. What gives?
Yeah, it does seem a bit confusing. But the first guy does say the tire rubbed some...

I am a long way off from needing new tires (just over 2K miles on my Classic) but I am considering going with a 200 tire when it is time. But I don't see changing the pulley...

I am a bit confused about the shock settings...any info on that?

Rod

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
On my bone stock 900 with a tach, to indicate 70 mph takes 3900 RPMs. 4.4% off of that would be 3728 RPMs.
my bone stock 9 @ an indicated 70 mph was actually doing 63 mph on the GPS

my altered 200 /70 /15 at an indicated 70 mph was doing 69 mph on my gps

found this on a previous post.

Originally Posted by MrClean
Tire____________170/80-15___180/70-15___200/70-15
Sidewall Height____5.35________4.96________5.51
Section Width_____6.69________7.09________7.87
Overall Diameter___25.71______24.92_______26.02
Circumference_____80.77______78.29_______81.76
Revs per mile_____784.49_____809.27_____774.99

2 things to consider, I am converting from KPH to MPH and i do not, as stated have a tach ... Im yet to find one that does not "flutter".

BTW ... my 200 tire is a Metzler ME 880, there is no way i could run the pulley with out the removal of the splash guard ... i have no experience with the Avon or any other brand.

Sounds confusing , just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am a bit confused about the shock settings...any info on that?
The "stiffer" the shock setting, the firmer the ride ride and the less compression of the shock.

The softer the setting, the smoother the ride, more compression of the shock.

I pull a trailer and 75% of my riding is 2 up ... shes 120 lbs, I'm in at 180 ... at the stock setting , 2 up, pulling the trailer i was bottoming out the shock at times. Its in your manual and shows you how to adjust the shock, it will change the ride and handling some what ... if you are in a corner and hit a pot hole, with a firmer setting you are going to get somewhat of a jarring bump due to less absorption in the shock and this may alter the handling somewhat.

The manual will show you which tool to use, what it does not show is how to repair your skinned knuckles.:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
If you're interested, the Cobra tach is rock steady with no flutter whatsoever. And, it looks great!
what size tach do you have.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
what size tach do you have.
They only make one size, as far as I know. It's about two inches.
Click on the pic to enlarge it. It's backlit very well with a kind of blueish white light. (probably LED) Very readable day or night, and again, it's rock steady! I was surprised at how good it really is. It replaces the top left riser clamp on the Classic, but has a different mount for the Custom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts