Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok... trying a new location... i also got the genmar risers on and must say they are sweet!

i can't place the lights on the outside at the very top because they hit the tank?!?! i had them down lower (on outside) but like the look here now because it opens up the line of the fork and makes it cleaner?!? yes/no?

i am also going to get night spots for the engine guard after it comes in... another reason i tucked the run/turn lights in and under on the forks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is bottoming out the front shocks on a bad bump. I don't know how much travel there is, but you might could hit the fender with the lights or the tool bag. My first location for lights was similar to this on my Classic, but they would just scratch the top of the fender if I hit a bad bump. Still I agree that it cleans up the front forks with them inside like that. Will they not fit just above the lower triple tree under that crazy headlight you have? Just flinging ideas.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea they will fit there, didn't like them that low. I wanted them up high at the very top, but they hit the tank... so i moved them down.

as for the fender, won't hit it... luckily they are the SMALL bullets, not the large ones! :) you can see in the second pic i had a bag there and the bag never hit the fender but i made the brackets too long the first time and one of them actually did hit the fender... the lights are considerably higher so no worries! i also checked the travel because the fork gets scuffed up from the rubber boot when it rides up and down.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You don't have the right clamps, but you could mount them on the frame. This would put them lower and make you more visible. But it also puts it back where the spray from the front tire is. I have my Wally World lights mounted to the fendor support brackets. Just bought and bent aluminum from lowe's to make the mounts.

Spreading out the lights in a 'points of a triangle' pattern for some reason increases the visibilty of the biker instead of lights that are too close together and turn into just a point from a distance for the opposing driver. You will have more light in front, for the things that You want to see, but it could look like a driver that you are a car, farther away with the brights on.

It ain't gospel, it's just a thought.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MrClean - I like the idea of putting the lights down there... it would seem better than adding a clamp to the engine guard because i like things "clean" so the lindby bar will look that much better with nothing mounted on it!!

walmart specials huh... i'll have to look around... want to find the brightest ones i can because the dang ET headlight i have is not very bright!

·
Registered
300 Posts
MrClean - I like the idea of putting the lights down there... it would seem better than adding a clamp to the engine guard because i like things "clean" so the lindby bar will look that much better with nothing mounted on it!!

walmart specials huh... i'll have to look around... want to find the brightest ones i can because the dang ET headlight i have is not very bright!
I put my "bullet lights" where you did, but they are outside the tree. Kept turn signals (they are above bullets), but did clear plastic covers. My stock light isn't very bright & wanted to be seen (day/night) so the 'ight "triangle" appealed to me. It all looks good w/the lindby. ;)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put my "bullet lights" where you did, but they are outside the tree. Kept turn signals (they are above bullets), but did clear plastic covers. My stock light isn't very bright & wanted to be seen (day/night) so the 'ight "triangle" appealed to me. It all looks good w/the lindby. ;)
so you still have the original bulky turns? that's one of the things i wanted to change right away on the bike! :D bigger is not always better... who needs front turn signals anyway?!?! :p

i can't wait to get nice spots... i cringe all the time now when i have to ride in the dark!

·
Registered
300 Posts
so you still have the original bulky turns? that's one of the things i wanted to change right away on the bike! :D bigger is not always better... who needs front turn signals anyway?!?! :p

i can't wait to get nice spots... i cringe all the time now when i have to ride in the dark!
Ya,still going "old school" on the turn signals, they've grown on me (& do look better clear). Did change out the glass on the rear signals to red, much more uniform look w/the taillight. Too bad about the ET light not shedding much light. Sometimes smaller isn't better either :p See ya, got to do some work.
Will have to do some real pics soon like ones you posted (need new camera or better AV skills)

·
Registered
976 Posts
The Walmart bulbs are 55w each. That's 30 watts more than the OEM headlight on High beam. I run an aftermarket 80/100 currently in the headlight. 210 watts going down the road at night, sure helps a lot. During the daytime my headlights on modulator. I turn em off if I'm group riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts