Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping maybe someone here would have some advice or experience that could help me with this.

It appears that when I removed my reflector on my front fork, there are what looks to be scratches or marks on the fork. I wanted to know if there is anything I can do to clean it up. I thought it was residue from the glue that held the reflector on but it isn't. Is there anyway to fix this? It isn't really noticeable at certain angles but you can definitely see it.

Here are some pictures of them:

Any thoughts and help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol... i actually was thinking about that.. I am thinking that the original owner did that and put them back on.. the other side is fine.. after looking at it, it really isn't noticeable unless you are looking for it.. I may just have to leave it for a few days and decide :\

·
Registered
295 Posts
lol... i actually was thinking about that.. I am thinking that the original owner did that and put them back on.. the other side is fine.. after looking at it, it really isn't noticeable unless you are looking for it.. I may just have to leave it for a few days and decide :\
Yeah, the PO probably pried 'em off with a screwdriver! You might try some very fine steel wool or some wheel polishing compound. If the forks are clear-coated that'll screw it up, though. I'm not crazy about the looks of those reflectors on mine but I've got a painted fork and I'm not going to take a chance on screwing them up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Polishing compound may be the answer, the type you use on paint, not metal polishing compound. That should be the ticket to polish out the damage to the clear coat, provided it isn't too deep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Polishing compound may be the answer, the type you use on paint, not metal polishing compound. That should be the ticket to polish out the damage to the clear coat, provided it isn't too deep.
okay great, I will try that this week and hopefully have some good results with it.. it definitely is not easy to see unless you look for it but with me knowing it is there it makes it hard not to see it :(

·
Registered
308 Posts
in your pics it looks like there is some clear coating on those forks. if the scratches are deep enough, thus in the metal, you might need to use some abrasives... be careful to follow a circular motion, around the fork, same angle as the existing texture. going up and down the fork is what caused those scratches in the first place.
think of it, as the thread on a screw ;]
you can find some clear coat in spray form to use after the repair, so that it wouldnt oxidate.

ps i would try some fine sand paper (start gently w/ a 800 and go to 1000-1500 until the marks it makes match the ones on the forks 'texture') or even the abrasive part of a kitchen sponge.
good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in your pics it looks like there is some clear coating on those forks. if the scratches are deep enough, thus in the metal, you might need to use some abrasives... be careful to follow a circular motion, around the fork, same angle as the existing texture. going up and down the fork is what caused those scratches in the first place.
think of it, as the thread on a screw ;]
you can find some clear coat in spray form to use after the repair, so that it wouldnt oxidate.

ps i would try some fine sand paper (start gently w/ a 800 and go to 1000-1500 until the marks it makes match the ones on the forks 'texture') or even the abrasive part of a kitchen sponge.
good luck!
hey thanks for the suggestion, I will try this as well... it does look like it is through the clearcoat in those spots... if I am lucky, i can get the scratches out and clear coat it as you said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts