Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I have a 05 V2K with the big headlight. I've seen a couple of forums where people have put fairings on these bikes. What fairings are being used? Modified Harley fairings??? Any help is appreciated. I would like to do this mo over the winter months.

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
corbin

Boss, What does the Corbin fairing cost? Corbin makes good stuff, but Ive been of the impression that they charge a LOT for their goods. Im NOT a fan of their seats, compared to a Mustang. I .find the Mustang seat MUCH MUCH more comfortable. I have a Mustang & a buddy has a Corbin on same bikes & WOW big diff. looks good , but hard on the butt .
BAck to the org post. It not easy to find a fairing that fits the freightrain headlight Somewhat like trying to find ANY windshield that fits a V2K Classic [without having to buy the LT hardware} which means $85 extra for chrome trim used on the LT , but not the Classic

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know what Corbin fairings cost, probably way too much but it's the only one I know that fits that particular machine right now. I have the LT with a pre 1986 Harley fairing that we have sat on my buddy's 06 V2K and tried to figure out what we could do to make it fit short of doing some heavy modifying of the fiberglass.

·
Registered
616 Posts
fairing

Bosss, Yeah I know what you mean. That BIG headlight isnt too pretty , but it IS very functional
I have a Memphis Shades for a road king , on my 08 Classic
Fabbed up my own mount

·
Registered
616 Posts
headlight

Paul, Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder , for sure. LOL
I never could warm up to that headlight on my 04 , Like I said , it IS very fuctional, but I prefer the headlight on my 08 Classic better ?? Sorry , guess that proves that opinions are like A--holes , everybody has one LOL
You have a great looking bike !! I just prefer the conventional headlight
Have a great day!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Boss, What does the Corbin fairing cost? Corbin makes good stuff, but Ive been of the impression that they charge a LOT for their goods.
Click on the "Order" tab on the below web site for pricing info on the Corbin Fairing for the original V2K model:

Fleetliner Fairing for Kawasaki Vulcan 2000

I have one on my V2K Classic, but IMO it's way overpriced for a simple fairing that's open on the backside. However, I really wanted a fairing on mine and it was the only bolt-on one that was available when I bought my bike back in 2006.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
solutions are not far off if your willing to work outside the box

Good morning, I have a 05 V2K with the big headlight. I've seen a couple of forums where people have put fairings on these bikes. What fairings are being used? Modified Harley fairings??? Any help is appreciated. I would like to do this mo over the winter months. Thanks
brrrrr, winter months. project? that big bug eye shouldn't be so hard to cover up. most of them aftermarket batwings are single front sided, lay on top style fitment. your bugeye has a teardrop bottom, but no fear to overcome.

here are some pix of the harley fairing I morphed to first my yam roadstar then ported it over to my v2k. it consist of a front and rear clamshell, windsheild and integrated mirrors. I obtained all these part #'s (have 'lectraglide) from chicago harley for less than $500. did have to paint it.

the stock front headlight opening can be modified (cut) to accept whatever nacelle you are trying to integrate. I cut out the lower leg of the radio compartment to allow the fairing to sit down on my risers and route the cables thru that opening. I plugged up all the instrument holes as have no need for further (lights n bells) crap on the skoot. keep it simple n clean.

as for hardware mounting it to the forks, I had used national cycle hardware on the roadstar and carried it over to the kaw.. but found it to be more complex than I cared for. I like simple. Soooo... I use 3 (count em) nylon wire tie straps. One is below the headlight and secured around the turnsignal light bar. the other Two are thru the lower instrument gauge openings where they sit on top of the handle bars. That is it. all of it. it is more than solid and rock steady at all speeds and under all kinds of loads and roads. Have ridden this beast 25k miles sofar w/no issues.

One of the benefits of this quick attach/detach method is not just the simple cost (.05) effectiveness is that it does have some break away in the case that you should ever have a major impact with the front end. Those nylon wire ties would give up and the fairing would absorb the energy before doing any damage to the bikes front end or forks.

rats, pix on another computer.. will post em later. out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
So did you have to remove the bugeye headlight to fit that fairing?
bh, negatory.. that'd be no. mine sa classic w/o the Lettuce n Tomato. so it came w/standard round headlamp.

as for modifying the hardley fairing to accept.. sit on top of the teardrop shaped bugeye headlamp, would require cutting (use dremel tool) the bottom off of the front clam shell half. its not that much material to be loose of.
this will allow the total fairing front n back when sandwiched together to sit on the existing bugeye thingymabobber.

I forgot that the ignition key is built into the back of that thingymabobber. so that does pose a problem for access as I dont know specifically how far forward or back them keys go in there. because of the key issue (unless relocated) it may be that a front only batwing will work on this bugeyed model?

I tried my memphis shades batwing on this girl and it was way too weany for this gorrilla sized bike. looked like mcgilla gorilla in a speedo.:eek: yikes!

·
Registered
110 Posts
So that is back to what I said earlier.... Doing some heavy modifying of the fiberglass. I have a pre-1986 fairing on my 07 LT which is a simple fairing with no inner. We took it off and set it on my buddy's 06 V2K with the bugeye headlight and started measuring things out and it looked like there would be no fiberglass left out the front of the fairing by the time you got it to fit over the headlight, and we thought it would look awful. Then we looked at removing the headlight housing and putting a fairing like yours on, but that meant that the triple tree would look like crap with all the chrome stripped off. What you are saying sounds simple, but I worry that it isn't for the average guy. I have been searching the forums and the net looking for someone that has mounted a Harley fairing on a bugeye V2K but I haven't found one that has done it yet. These V2K's have been around for more than 6 years. You would think someone would have done it by now if it was possible. My buddy would have one on his 06 V2K in a heartbeat then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts