Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am waiting for some cash from insurance company and as soon as I get it I will buy a Vaquero (I LOVE this bike) I hope my wife don't read it. My first modification will be 21 inch wheel without lowering the rear of the bike . BUT For the last month of searching into the internet I found for front and wobble and I am a bit scare about it. So I want to ask you if this is a common problem? how to fix it ? and if I install 21 inch it will be a problem?

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE for all the help

Please forgive me but my English are not very good.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Front end wobble on a big Vulcan is no different than any other motorcycle. There is no " bike specific " problem with front end wobble. Several things can cause front end wobble; bearings, tires,balancing, If you do standard maintenance on your scoot you should not have problems with front end wobble on any bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Retrobagger thank you. I had the same on my road star and my royal star but it was a quick fix. When I install 21 inch on my road star I didn't lower the front and there was a wobble. after I level the bike it was gone. And on my royal star I just replace the bearings.

Anyone with the 21 inch had any problem with it? I will not lower the rear just after the instalation I will level the bike.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Something else that can result in some wobble is the improper load positioning of whatever you're hauling around. If you place a lot of weight too far rearward, then the front can wobble. This is more prominent in lighter bikes than in heavier bikes. But it can happen.

If I understand you correctly, you wish to put on a wheel/tire combo that will raise the front up. Then you said you plan to level the bike. How?

How many inches of raise are we talking about from the factory level? The higher you go, the higher the center-of-gravity. Wobbling may not be as much of a problem as overall handling will be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will install 21 inch. and I will pull the fork over the triple tree until I level the bike or if I can find shorter fork springs. on my roadstar I pull the fork over and the wobble was over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw that on my email but when I visit the side I can't see the reply in the threat.

Dear Panayiotis,

Simonr has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - front end wobble - in the Vulcan 1700 forum of Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/299138-front-end-wobble-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
A beautiful island you live on, Panayiotis!
I am not sure why you want to do this.
Putting on a larger diameter but narrower front tire may reduce grip at the front wheel, which will affect braking and grip in corners. Having one larger and one smaller diameter tire might mean that on a bumpy corner the front and back of the bike would behave differently.

The rotation of the wheels causes a gyroscopic effect which acts to hold the bike upright. (Judging by your name you must be Greek Cypriot, and since the word "gyroscope" is of Greek origin I am sure you know all about this!)
A larger diameter wheel and tire may have more or less rotational mass, so have more or less gyroscopic effect, depending not just on the weight of the wheel and tire, but also how far the mass is located from the axle. Just weighing the wheel and tire does not give the answer!
Of course, the faster the wheel is rotating, the greater the gyroscopic effect, and a 21 inch wheel and tire will have a larger diameter, so rotate more slowly, so reduce stability. On the other hand, the rotational mass may be greater because of the larger diameter. Calculating these things would be complicated.
If you have a bicycle wheel handy try to hold it vertical by holding just one side of the axle. Now spin the wheel and try again. This demonstrates the gyroscopic effect quite clearly.

[/B]
Simonr I would like to thank you for the reply. Yes I am Cypriot and I absolutely agree for the 21 inch wheel. I had the same feeling on all the bikes I install it. I know that will not improve the driving but I love the look and I wanted to know if I buy the bike and decide to do it what will need and if it will cause any other problems. If I will built the bike for 2 up I was thinking to install 18x3.5 inch front rim. If is just for me I might go with the 21.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts