Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys ..
I finally got the bike out for a long ride yesterday!

I installed the Euro Gears this winter!
WOW what a great mod !!! Amazing !!!

I bought this bike end of summer and never really got a good test drive.

I was out yesterday ..
And took my hands off the handle bars for a sec.
and WOW the front end started to wobble and got worse the longer I did it.
I was on cruse control at the time. So was going a steady speed. 60-65 I think.

The Bike has about 10,000 on it. Tires look OK Not sure if they are the ORG Tires!

Really Bumming me out :(

Suggestions ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm surprised your bike does the front end wobble, my 2007 nomad will wobble so bad when you take your hands off the bars I know it would crash if not reattaching said hands to bars. It was much worse with a 1/2 worn tire but even with a new tire it would start out with a slight wobble and slowly build into a catastrophic state. Funny though, with just one hand with a light grip on the bars you cannot feel any shimmy at all. On the V2K LT, I do not have any wobble what so ever, with new or worn tires, its great. Am running stock sized bridgestones. You may want to check out a different make of tire.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I would start with the front tire. It may be separated. Sometimes you can't see it but it's there. After that, I would check the steering nut. I have 10" Mini apes and mine will still cruise straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If it isn't the tire it's the steering head too tight/loose/worn bearing. Alternatively the suspension but that's just a remote possibility.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine was doing that right after I got it last summer and when I took it to the shop the first thing he checked was the pressure. It was low. It also had the original from tire on (from 2004!). I'm sure it was just the pressure, but I had them put on a new tire just because. Don't know if it helps, but that's my story.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here with mine ...
" with just one hand with a light grip on the bars you cannot feel any shimmy at all "
Yeap .. that's what this does ..
start out with a slight wobble and slowly build into a catastrophic state
Its weird .. I do not think I have a had a bike do this ever ! :(

Anyone know what size the steering head bolt is ?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Same here with mine ...

Yeap .. that's what this does ..

Its weird .. I do not think I have a had a bike do this ever ! :(

Anyone know what size the steering head bolt is ?
More common than you might think.

The 1700 Voyagers are bad about it but you almost never hear of the 1700 Nomads or Classics having the problem. It is almost always the the steering head bearing on the 1700.

On the 1700 it's a 32mm I believe, not sure on the 2000.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My old Honda Silverwing would do it too. V2K did it the other day at slower speeds, front tire has very slight cupping and about 6000 miles on it. It didn't do it when the tire was new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you looked at the alignment of your back tire? If your back tire isn't tracking with your front tire, the rake on the steering tire will always be trying to track but it can't. This could contribute to the wobble. Easy to check the back wheel nuts and see if they are both at the same spot for alignment. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hope this helps !

Well ..
I took off everything to get at the freaking steering head bearing.
I did tighten it to specs and it was a tad lose.

However didn't fix the problem ..
The tires look ok. But they were / are old and needed replacing.

So I ordered new tires yesterday.

Bridgestone Rear Exedra Max 200/60VR
Bridgestone Front Exedra Max 150/80VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O8Fcybpl9c

They are being installed tomorrow!
I hope this takes care of this!
I will let you guys know! tomorrow!

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Odds are, the tire is cupped.

Battle axe's hey? Most people can't wait to get rid of those and install either Cobra's or ME's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it had ME 880's
Bike has 12,000 and needed tires ..

they are NOT the Org. Tires.
So they sure didn't last long :(

So I thought I would try new kind.
The ones I got had good reviews looks like.

I guess time will tell ...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well it had ME 880's

My two cents.
Well I had the metz me 880's fitted a while back............................totally destroyed them in 5000 Km's flat....front and rear...chite! They cupped, chipped out, tore off strips and worst of all caused HORRENDOUS front end wobble if one dared let the bars go. I had the sods balanced twice too.

Switched to running bridgy's ever since without issue. HOWEVER based on feedback from here I bumped up the pressures. I now run 41 front and 48 rear, no issues. I can get 11000 kms out of a rear and still counting on the front. The higher tyre pressures are key in my view.
NOTE: We also replaced the rear shocky and dialled it in, this helped with wear issues too having better spring rates and more dampening.

How do I ride? the bike is fully kitted out so's a bit heavy, been resistor modded to get full torque from 1st gear, ridden 90% two up and typically ridden like we stole it. Our roads are course chip and we have a tonne of twisty stuff to play on so the tyres are worked hard. The Bridgy's have proven to be good rubber and stand up to the beating well.

Done, over, out

Ando

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well it had ME 880's

The OEM Bridgestones were great on my original V2K, and the Battlax are what I run on my SV1000S.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Well it had ME 880's

FWIW, regardless of the tire brand I never got more than 4500-5000 miles out of a rear and roughly twice that out of a front. Finally went to DS on the rear because I got tired of having a new rear tire installed every season or more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My two cents.
Well I had the metz me 880's fitted a while back............................totally destroyed them in 5000 Km's flat....front and rear...chite! They cupped, chipped out, tore off strips and worst of all caused HORRENDOUS front end wobble if one dared let the bars go. I had the sods balanced twice too.

Switched to running bridgy's ever since without issue.
Ando
Cool !

Well I guess we will find out later today !
Have to work :( till about 1-2pm today :(

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
HOWEVER based on feedback from here I bumped up the pressures. I now run 41 front and 48 rear, no issues. I can get 11000 kms out of a rear and still counting on the front. The higher tyre pressures are key in my view.
You know, you could be right about that. That's an interesting point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts