Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 900 classic lt, my issue is the front end wobble. If I go no hands...I know its not a good thing, but I get an almost instant front end wobble. Have ownd several bikes over the yrs, but never a wobble problem this bad. I do not notice it with hands on the bars, just real bad real quick once I have no hands on the bars. Plus it pulls slightly to the right once I let go. Again, I understand it not safe and I do not make a habbit, just once in a while just for a few seconds. Have almost wobbled myself into wreck in a matter of a few seconds. Anyone know what may be causing this?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
(you put this in the wrong section of the forum. This section is for issues with the "forum" itself.. Ask an admin to move it to the "General section" for ya)

·
Registered
408 Posts
My 2000 classic LT has a front tire that's beginning to cup and the last time I rode it behaved very similarly to what you're experiencing, minus the pulling to the right. I was stretching my hands as I slowed from 50mph to a stop sign and right around 25mph it started wobbling with my hands off the bars. From 50mph down to 25mph as I was slowing it was smooth and straight, as soon as the wobbling began, I quickly grabbed the bars and it stopped. Also, it doesn't exhibit this behavior when I have my hands even lightly on the bars. I my case, I know it's due to the cupped front tire as I have experienced this before on several other bikes with cupped front tire, the problem almost always goes away after installing a new tire.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Pulling to the right could be a rear tire out of alignment. Actually that can also cause a front end wobble. If the rear wheel points to the left, it pushes the frame to right as the gyroscopic effect of the wheel forces it straight. Pushing the frame right wil cause the bike to drift right and the front wheel's gyroscopic will pull the frame left, forcing the rear to push the frame right, forcing the front to pull the frame left...

When my custom had the wobble problem I found: 1. a cupped front tire, 2. loose steering bearings, 3. a loose screw in the lower tree and 4. mis-aligned rear wheel. I've fixed all four and it's smooth as silk now.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
check to make sure you have the correct tire pressures, failing that, you may have a wheel balance problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
A front end wobble, especially on decel from 60 down to 25 is a lot more common than you may think. Yes there are factors that contribute to it like, low tire pressure, cupped tire, worn wheel bearings, chassis out of alignment, loose steering head bearings, loose swingarm pivots, frame flex. But especially on bikes with fairly simple tube type frame construction, where a cruiser style frame is more flexible than say a sport bike style frame, it could be simple harmonics.

All motorcycle front tires wobble to some degree because they have to as the tire naturally self corrects to maintain path and balance. At certain speeds especially when the front tire is loaded a bit more on decel, a flex/spring harmonic in the frame is excited and the front end wobbles a bit more. With our hands resting on the grips we dampen out the wobble to the point we don't sense it. But without our input to dampen it, the wobble can build on itself and become much more evident. Check all the basics and correct any issues, but the rest may be just the way the bike is. A steering damper may be a good addition if you want to go further.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
what make and brand of tire on it? how many miles on that tire

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may have a radial tire whose plies have become unattached. Have the tire checked for this. If that is the problem and the tire is new, it may be replaced at no charge or could be pro-rated. Whatever, you do not want to be spending a lot of time on the bike until problem is rectified.
All the best,
Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts