Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a front end wobble at around 40mph. The side to side wobble is severe during acceleration or deceleration if I let go of the handlebars. I've seen a number of threads mention this front end wobble, but no resolutions. I recently changed tires to the Metzler 880's in front and rear. I took to the dealer and they charged me $80 to tighten the steering stem which did not correct the problem.
I purchased Metzler through Motorcycle Superstore and had local Kawasaki Performance shop do the installation.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If the dealer said tightening the steering bearings would fix the problem and it didn't then I'd be getting my money back.

I don't have any suggestions as to how to fix the problem.

·
Registered
644 Posts
There are issues like this with a lot of BIG bikes. Theses are heavy bikes. The Goldwing had the same issues. All Balls bearings in the steering stem would be the next suggestion. Many Wing riders have said this helps a lot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hate to say it but it's the tire...on the AVA forum this is old news...a lot of people who switched from the stock bridgestones to something else have this issue...my self included.....keep 1 hand on the grip at all times....i'm 10,000 mile into my dunlop e3 on the front and its been there since i put it on....everything on the front has been checked 3 times by 2 dealers.....all ok

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have that wobble as well. But I remember back when my bike was new and for at lease the first year it didn't do that. Now just two days ago I put a new ME880 on the front and it still does it a little. :(

·
Registered
701 Posts
hate to say it but it's the tire...on the AVA forum this is old news...a lot of people who switched from the stock bridgestones to something else have this issue...my self included.....keep 1 hand on the grip at all times....i'm 10,000 mile into my dunlop e3 on the front and its been there since i put it on....everything on the front has been checked 3 times by 2 dealers.....all ok
Why would this happen with any tire other than stock???:confused::confused::confused: What the hell was kawasaki thinking when they designed the front end? Bridgestone tires only D 402's for life. This is a good way to piss off your customers. Rant over and I don't own a VV either. But I'm prepared for it now.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am having a front end wobble at around 40mph. The side to side wobble is severe during acceleration or deceleration if I let go of the handlebars. I've seen a number of threads mention this front end wobble, but no resolutions. I recently changed tires to the Metzler 880's in front and rear. I took to the dealer and they charged me $80 to tighten the steering stem which did not correct the problem.
I purchased Metzler through Motorcycle Superstore and had local Kawasaki Performance shop do the installation.
Just curious, how much air you running in your Metzler 880's?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow. My VTX did it. Perhaps not just one motorcycle/mfgr?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
So if it didn't do it before the new tires were put on, then it's obvious. Are you saying it didn't do it before?
If you're asking me, it did wobble before I just put a new front tire on. The BS had just under 10,000 on it. It had been doing it for the last few months, but not the first 1/2 of the tire's life. It's doing it a little with this new tire, it's just not rock steady like it use to be.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
If that was my bike I would get a jack under the frame and get the front end off the ground. I would take the brake calipers off and spin the wheel to see how the rim/tire looks while spinning. Sometimes the simple stuff gets right by us unnoticed, like a small bend in the rim. If that looked good I'd check for even a little bit of play in the steering head bearings. Maybe pull/push on the forks front to back and even up & down looking for any type of slop while unweighted still on the jack. If that checked out I'd have the wheel bearings checked.
And finally if all that didnt reveal the culprit, I'd make an appt. with GMD Computrack. I roadrace motorcycles and they are the go-to guys for front ends when we crash or have wobble issues. They have the ability to put ur bike on a jig and measure/check everything from the forks to the frame. Usually about $100 for a measurement/diagnosis. They have facilities in a few areas on the east coast.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=gmd+computrack+florida&fb=1&gl=us&hq=gmd+computrack&hnear=0x88c1766591562abf:0xf72e13d35bc74ed0,Florida&cid=0,0,7489309163535980995&ei=z_dvTpvRDebV0QHB9pyeCg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CA8QnwIwAA

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
All I have to do is hold or just rest either hand on one of the grips and its very steady. I mean really one shouldn't be riding hands free anyway, but it's just a little shakey (sometimes) on a non smooth road. I checked the wheel & new tire alinement but tomorrow I'm going to check the steering head. I'm sure it's OK.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Every wobble problem I've had in the past had to do with poor valance job of the tire and rim when mounted... the wider the tire more off-center counter weights are needed, is the problem typicaly shown at 40 mile per hour and at or around 70 to 80, at other speeds it seems fine? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I assume you are asking "Proud50" your question. He's the one that's having a real problem with wobble.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I've just put Avons on and am noticing the wobble at normal acceleration on poor roads. The OEMs used to wobble as soon as I loosened my grip when slowing down and any other time I was game enough to loosen my grip.

I have tried setting the cruise and loosening my grip and on most roads the wobble is there. However I also tried on a brand new freeway and no wobble.

My mechanic a former racer reasons the front is is just so heavy it will always wobble whenever the road surface is not A1. Like other I notice that even the lightest pressure even with one hand on the handle bars and the wobble disappears.

Just need to play safe and keep both hands on the wheel,

·
Registered
207 Posts
I dont think a heavy front end in general should create a wobble. My Vaq doesn't have it at all - yet. If it really was from just being a heavy front end it would always be there from day one to some degree. The only thing I can imagine is all that weight up there may cause something to loosen up over time. Steering head/wheel bearings, etc. Tires will bring the wobble out more or less, but I still think they aren't being diagnosed correctly.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts