Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 1700 Nomad I could take my hands off the bars at any speed no problem, bike stayed straight as an arrow. Last December I bought an 09 Voyager with 22,000 miles on it. After doing the usual new to me service I perform on any thing previously owned, change fluids, pull every thing apart that comes off without to much trouble, clean, lube, polish and wax every thing, repair, adjust, and correct/replace oversights of po. All of this done and a short shake down ride to make sure every thing is as it should be I am headed out to work and loosen my grip on the bars to adjust my gloves at about 30 mph and instantly a violent front end wobble showed its ugly head. I don't mined telling you it scared the crap out of me. The rest of the way to work at different speeds I would check and as soon as I would release pressure the wobble would start from 20 mph to 80 mph. Even one finger resting on the bars would keep it from happening but move that finger and it was on. I'm not talking about a side to side vibration, but a tank slapping violent death wobble.

I took it to a local independent shop and they looked it over. All the obvious stuff looked good and he told me how to check several other things after putting it on a jack and every thing checked out good no slack any where and no perceptible rough spots moving the bars from side to side.

I was going to pull the front end apart myself but after four different sockets did not find a 36mm thin enough to fit the steering head nut so I finally put it in the shop 2 weeks ago.

The steering head bearings were pitted with rust. They had not saved the races but they showed me the bearings and I can't remember ever seeing any that were still rolling that looked that bad. The mechanic that did the work told me if they ever had any grease on them it was light weight and the bearings had not been packed properly from the factory.

While they had it all pulled out I had the fork oil changed and balance beads put in the front tire. Now there is a slight wobble with no pressure between 30 and 40 mph which I am sure is the tire that has some slight cupping on both sides. I see a commander II for it in the near future.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Do you know how much pressure they put in tire after the beads were installed? That 30-40 wobble was on mine when new, but upping the pressure from 28-40 I think is what its at now, and wobble all but gone, just noticed very slight a couple days ago. Ofcourse if you have cupping, thats most likely it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know how much pressure they put in tire after the beads were installed? That 30-40 wobble was on mine when new, but upping the pressure from 28-40 I think is what its at now, and wobble all but gone, just noticed very slight a couple days ago. Ofcourse if you have cupping, thats most likely it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
He told me he put 36 in it, and suggested 40 for the rear which already is there. I haven't checked it myself yet, will be doing some work around the house tomorrow and will recheck everything then.

This guy struck me as knowing what he was talking about. I talked to him for quite a while.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've had the shake on two previous bikes now... and it was always the steering head bearings at the bottom of it. My Nomad bearings didn't need replacing, the previous owner did that - but they sure needed to be torqued down (beyond spec).

This Voyager seems ok for now, but is a little looser than I'd like... So I know the head bearings will become an issue before too much longer.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The replacement bearings were also needle bearings instead of the roller bearings that were oem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts