Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an 06 Vulcan 900 runs well with 22k on odometer, only had the bike for 2 months. I think something is going on in the front end somewhere.I thought it was just low psi in the tires, but when I’m cornering my handle bars feel like they’re wobbling back and forth slightly. At first when I took both hands off the bars going about 30mph the bike would jump into a death wobble until I grabbed the bars again.. I filled my tires up to 38F and 40R, I thought this fixed my issue because it doesn’t wobble when riding no hands. Now it just wobbles when cornering. Tires look almost new, not sure what’s going on. Has anyone experienced this issue with their bike? Any suggestions? Thank you!

·
Registered
2002 Vulcan 800b
102 Posts
Check you Psi again. Maybe yogurt a slow leak, but your symptoms are the symptoms of low pressure--also you can check your bearings but raising the front end letting the handlebars go and see if they bounce...I have inner tubes and I guess they stretch but I need to add air at east every two weeks it seems

·
Registered
09 VN900B
211 Posts
Check you Psi again. Maybe yogurt a slow leak, but your symptoms are the symptoms of low pressure--also you can check your bearings but raising the front end letting the handlebars go and see if they bounce...I have inner tubes and I guess they stretch but I need to add air at east every two weeks it seems
What Mr D said, ohhh what flavor is that yogurt :) . Have you checked to see if the tires are cupped, and check bearings like he said.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wobble when going straight is generally head bearings, either too tight or too loose. Wobble when cornering is generally tire wear, cupping or other.
Once a tire is cupped it will never be right again, always keep your tire pressure as recommended.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
If the issue is not the tire. Have to get the front wheel off the ground and then grab you forks down at the bottom and move forward and backward. If you feel play, replace the bearings with the “All Balls“ brand. Here is a link to download a factory repair manual showing the procedure to check and replace the bearings. Not a real hard job, just takes a few hours. Might as well change your front fork oil while you have it apart. Also here is a link to an OEM parts supplier with diagrams. Have found the parts diagrams help show how things are assembled. There are plenty of videos showing this procedure. You also have the members here to help with anything that is unclear.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The first time I experienced this on my custom I found that one of the triple tree bolts had only been snugged, not torqued (brand new bike). A few years later I had a straight line wobble and was sure I needed new head bearings, but it turned out to be a cupped tire. 48K on the odometer now, still no wobble. Good luck with yours!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts