Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed a disturbing feeling in the grips, like the front wheel may be loose. I also see seepage on the front wheel axle, and looking at it there is a very small ring between the wheel and the axle as if the wheel has been sliding back and forth on the axle. Also, a couple weeks ago I turned on to a road that had been ground down to be resurfaced. Of course there was no indication about how far this would go and it turned out to be about 15 miles or so. Had to slow down and hang on but no real slippage or danger. But, it pounded the front end pretty good.

Question is, is it likely the front wheel bearing seals were damaged? Anyone else have this issue? It's a 2010 900 classic. Tire pressure is good.

·
Registered
761 Posts
A small amount of seepage is normal on the front and rear axle bolts.The heat allows a bit of the grease to thin and seep out.Not likely that the bearing seals were damaged just from driving on a rough road.Lift the front of the bike off the ground and check for play in all components.Also check the riser bolts where the nuts attach under the upper tree.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A small amount of seepage is normal on the front and rear axle bolts.The heat allows a bit of the grease to thin and seep out.Not likely that the bearing seals were damaged just from driving on a rough road.Lift the front of the bike off the ground and check for play in all components.Also check the riser bolts where the nuts attach under the upper tree.
I don't have a jack to get the front wheel off the ground. Just started riding again last year so I'm still kind of collecting necessary tools. This is a 2010 old stock I bought new last year and has about a week left on the warranty so taking into shop tomorrow to have then check it out. It may be nothing, just in my head but don't want take any chances. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When you say the tire pressure is good what is it set at. I had Pirelli's on my Classic and the recommended 36 psi was not enough to keep the wobble down. I had to run 40psi or it would shimmy when riding 35 mph with no hands. On mine it was like the sidewalls of the front tire were kind of weak and especially when riding in heat of 100 degrees. If you don't have 40psi in the front try it....depending on the max tire pressure shown on your brand of tire.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It still has the stock Dunlops. I have always run about 32 in them and it's still there. I could try running it higher. I should more specific on the feeling in the grips. I'd say it's a vibration but it's irregular, more like a knocking but very slight, like something is just not quite as tight as it use to be.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Make sure the axle nut is torqued at 79/80 ft/lbs. Mine was loose when I got it from the dealership and caused a intermittent squeal. Loosened it and re-torqued it all is well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If its a knocking I would check the steering head and make sure it is not loose. If it is loose it will make a clunking sound when it hits bumps and unloads the tension on it. That is important!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If its a knocking I would check the steering head and make sure it is not loose. If it is loose it will make a clunking sound when it hits bumps and unloads the tension on it. That is important!
One of the most overlooked maintenance items.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I get some "clunking" too.

Is this the "steering play adjustment" described in the periodic maintenance section of the service manual (i.e., the steering stem head must be removed for access to the steering stem locknut) and if so is the steering stem nut wrench 57001-1100 a must-have?

Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I get some "clunking" too.

Is this the "steering play adjustment" described in the periodic maintenance section of the service manual (i.e., the steering stem head must be removed for access to the steering stem locknut) and if so is the steering stem nut wrench 57001-1100 a must-have?

Thanks.
Before I spent the $31 on the wrench I would put a jack under the bike and with the front wheel in the air check for steering head play by lifting the front wheel in all directions the front steering should have no play but move freely. If it feels loose at all try using your shock adjusting tool in your tool kit to snug any play out of it. Be sure it still steers freely. The shock wrench size may be able to be adjusted by duct taping one side of it to get leverage. If not you should be able to use a punch and hammer to lightly tap it snug.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, the good news is there is nothing at all wrong with the bike. The bad new is, it's all in my head. :) Here's what I think happened.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a used Honda CBR-250 for my son to ride. Now I'm kind of a safety freak and road it myself more than he in the first few days to check it out. I also had the tires replaced the end of last week with Michelin Pilot Street radials, and then road about 30 miles both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Meanwhile, I notice the 900 is not feeling all that stable and I'm thinking perhaps there is something loose or worn. The more I think about this, the more I "notice it".

So, I take it in today and they look it all over and test drive it. Can't find anything wrong, because the problem wasn't the bike, it was all in my head. The little Honda, especially with radials, handles like a Ferrari compared to the 900. I just spooked myself into thinking something wasn't right. After realizing this I took the 900 out for about 20+ miles. Getting my senses back about me I realized it really is fine.

So, thanks for your comments and suggestions. Lesson learned I guess.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That steering head bearing still needs to be check every year or so, though! ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was going to bring up the steering head, but since this seems to be resolved, I'll make vague comments about how the title made me think of my prom date....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem dabimf had. I noticed while riding this afternoon something didn't feel right with the front end. I thought at first it may have been the road. As soon as I got back I checked the axle nut and sure enough she was very loose. I've torqued it down to 80 lbs and am hoping to get it back out tomorrow and see if this solved the problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had this problem a couple months back and it turned out to be my front tire. Pressure was fine and I couldn't find anything visibly wrong with it, but I bought a new one anyway and it took care of the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts