Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
As I prep this EN500 for the better half, I notice that the front dips quite a bit under braking.
I am comparing it to my own 900 custom and it dives quite a bit more. It is clearly a softer ride.

Is this normal for the 500?
Would a heavier weight fork oil help?
Do I add a spacer to the springs to stiffen them?

The bike is a 2008 and only has 2200 miles on it. I am confident the fork oil is original from the factory.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The 500 does dive a bit on heavy braking but I have never found it uncomfortable (unless one of the forks has leaked its oil out). A heavier oil *might* lessen the dive at the expense of a softer ride. Adding a longer spacer will only increase the 'preload' but the spring rate will remain the same. Race Tech makes aftermarket springs that can be customized for the rider weight and riding style. www.racetech.com

Try changing the oil first. 10W is standard. 506ml per fork.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I am out riding an Ironbutt ride today and thought of your issue while slowing at an intersection.

I applied a Lot of front brake but not much rear brake and observed a pronounced dive on the front. Using the rear brake more made the dive less apparent. It could be that you may not be using enough Rear Brake.

Give that a try before changing anything up front.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So we got it on the insurance finally and I was able to take it out properly. Previously I was only in the cul de sac while I was getting it running. Actually @bikerbill I think it is fine. Thanks for the reply though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts