Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a 05 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 mean streak with 8k miles that had sat for a while and it had a bad fuel pump. I replaced the pump, charged the battery and started it. It sounded pretty rough, I reached down and felt the exhaust, front was cold, rear was hot. Checked for spark the old fashioned idiot way as I don't have a spark tester or meter and it seems to be getting spark on all plugs. I'm stumped. Also, I'm not sure if this is normal, but each coil is wired with one plug on its side of the bike and the other plug going to the opposite side. Ex. Left coil wired to left rear, right front. Right coil right rear, left front. I'm completely new to kawi and efi bikes. I assumed if each coil is feeding a plug on both cylinders, if one coil was bad it would still fire both? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Likely not a spark problem. Something in fuel management. Below is link to a service manual that may help troubleshoot DFI. Study page 30 & make sure all hoses are connected properly.

http://www.kawasaki-customs.com/modeles-kawasaki/1500meanstreak-kawasaki-customs/VN1500.pdf

Verified spark again just to be safe. You were right, fuel problem. Pulled the plug and turned it over a few times. Rear injector is working fine, front injector is dry. Bad news is one of the screws is stripped out. I put some pen oil on it and I'll try later, I'm not risking stripping out a screw that's halfway there already. Oddly though, the air the piston was forcing out the spark plug hole was hot. Any idea why? Should be cold considering no fuel to burn right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucky find man. I think that's what I'm gonna need. Why in the world did they torque a Philips head this tight? Did they use rockset or something? I'm gonna try to get that stripped one out tomorrow, if not it'll have to be drilled out. Wish me luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You think those injectors are still good seeing how crusty that is? If I can get mine out I'd be good, may even be able to clean it out but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd just need a new screw to replace the stripped one. I'm going to try to find some hex or socket bolts to replace them if I can in case I need to remove it in the future. The only impact I have is a huge 1200ft/lb pneumatic impact so that might be overkill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts