Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Vulcans Wizards, how is everyone?
I´m having some issues with my 1999 800 Vulcan Classic, misfires in the front cylinder.
I changed the spark plugs, carburetor is all rebuild.
When checking for the spark plug, I got in my hands the spark plug wiring.
I unscrewed the bolt in the picture (circled) and the whole cable just comes off.
Is this supposed to happen?
Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive tire Muffler

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
Make sure that connection is good. You can clip a little of the wire off and reinstall securely. Check the front cylinders spark. Blue spark is strong, yellow is weak. If you have spark issues, use the factory repair manual troubleshooting section and check the components they list for a no spark condition.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure that connection is good. You can clip a little of the wire off and reinstall securely. Check the front cylinders spark. Blue spark is strong, yellow is weak. If you have spark issues, use the factory repair manual troubleshooting section and check the components they list for a no spark condition.
Connection is good, and it's sparking outside the cylinder.
I think it's drowned in gas...:( spark is black and wet after 20 km or so.
Just have to figure out why.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had some similar problems with the front cylinder (even replaced the front igniton coil; that was not neccesary). I recommend looking at:
  • valve check (this rezolved my situation): if the valves are not closing at the correct timing, you cannot achive full detonation= the spark plug will be wet and missfiring.
  • also, carburetor settings and float level (too much gas will wet the spark plug).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had some similar problems with the front cylinder (even replaced the front igniton coil; that was not neccesary). I recommend looking at:
  • valve check (this rezolved my situation): if the valves are not closing at the correct timing, you cannot achive full detonation= the spark plug will be wet and missfiring.
  • also, carburetor settings and float level (too much gas will wet the spark plug).
I've changed the carburetor float bowl and now I'll check the valves, thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is good. But check the float level also. Many mechnics don't pay attention to the setting from the manual and if that is setup wrong, then whwn they tube the carburettor they are doing that wrong also.

But I think that checking the valves will fix your problem. How many miles/km ago you last checked them?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow.....that's a long long time. If you don't have problems with the engine, you are a lucky one.

You are in for a surprise after you will check the valves: the bike will run and pull better :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts