Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall I'm looking at buying a 97 750 and if so will be posting here regularly. The guy I'm buying the bike from says the front calipers need replacing and I just have a few questions I can't seem to find answers to if anyone can help out.

Problem: I've driven the bike a few times and the front breaks lock up after using them randomly. Bleeding them unlocks them but it will happen again pretty quickly. Both sides have locked up but don't seem to necessarily lock up simultaneously.

Question:
1. Does this sound like a caliper replacement issue? And if so do I need to replace the calipers completely or would a rebuild kit most likely take care of it?
2. I've sorced after market parts and they are quite expensive so I started looking at ebay but I'm not sure what years are interchangeable does anyone know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated here and I really appreciate the time and look forward to posting.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Sounds like the caliper needs to be serviced, not replaced. Complete cleaning with replacement of seals and o-rings. You will need to examine the pistons for scaring, but if they look good, then they should not need replacement. You should probably replace the lines and rebuild the master cylinder while you are at it. If they are the originals, they are nearly 25 years old. The seals and o-rings are not that expensive, but the lines (and pistons, if needed) will be more expensive. Replacing the bleeders with speed bleeders make bleeding now and in the future much easier.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
438 Posts
Little late on the reply, but basically all the parts from the 750s across the entire 21 year production run are interchangeable. There was some parts changed over the years but the calipers were not one of them.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
If you don't have a copy of the service manual for your bike, you should get one. Search the forum to see if Tourer has posted a link. If you are going to do it, do it right.

·
Super Moderator
5,707 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.