Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent had any love on my other thread yet which included this topic, but Im very curious... do you front brake suck?

I was extremely disappointed in the braking power @ the front of my 900 this wkd. Almost caused an incident actually (although 50% of it was rider error), but overall it really seems as if the front brakes are pretty weak. Im used to my fronts handling most of my stopping.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I haven't noticed anything to complain about with mine, but i haven't tried pulling any stoppies with them either.

Maybe a little adjustment is in order?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've been thrown off my bike by braking too hard. The front locked up and flying I went. Lots of road rash, and a couple of broken ribs. $500 in parts for the bike and all is fine. The brakes work just fine, thank you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've been thrown off my bike by braking too hard. The front locked up and flying I went. Lots of road rash, and a couple of broken ribs. $500 in parts for the bike and all is fine. The brakes work just fine, thank you.
Ouch, sunschild! Don't DO that! Dang.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is always subjective opinion but

They seem fine after a year of ownership. Plus I top 300 pounds so they have to work harder. ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've never felt that my front brake was lacking. If I'm not mistaken, most if not all Harleys only have a single front disc.

I'm thinking a complete function check is in order before you ride. Both caliper pistons working, adequate lining on both pads, adequate fluid in the reservoir.

·
Registered
382 Posts
try EBC pads... braided steel lines as well.

The braided steel will provide quicker response and more brake pressure will work to stop the bike rather than (minutely) stretching the rubber hose. EBC makes awesome performance brake pads as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My front brakes are terrible. That could be due to the fact that they are hanging on a wall in my garage.

By the way, I Can Get You a Toe, love the reference man. With nail polish, you don't wanna know.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Vulcans have dual discs, its called a front and a rear, for 30+ years i used to be a front brake only user, that was until i revisited the motorcycle riders course and learnt the value of 2 brake stopping and the much shorter distances that accompany it. You never know when you need the extra room.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I always thought the brakes were more than adequate on the 900. Find myself having to go easy on the lever, especially when coming from my dual-disc Roadstar. Come close a few times to locking them up, mostly due to operator whipping through back roads a little too quick!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My front brakes are terrible. That could be due to the fact that they are hanging on a wall in my garage.

By the way, I Can Get You a Toe, love the reference man. With nail polish, you don't wanna know.
I read this post yesterday, and decided to test mine ut to see what it felt like to me.....

I went to the local mall parking lot today at about 11 am - EMPTY on a Tuesday morning. This is the same place I took my MSF safety course.

After 4 or five attempts braking straight, I could feel the difference in power. (like it broke in) after that I had 2 or 3 times that I could feel what felt like the back tire coming off the ground.

Obviously, I can not say that it did for sure. Being on the bike, and no one around to watch for me. But DEFIANTLY enough power.

I would have to tell you to do the same. It is a good learning experience for you too.

Just look for a location with no traffic at all, and a clean flat surface.

There is nothing wrong with getting to know your bike and abilities better!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I read this post yesterday, and decided to test mine ut to see what it felt like to me.....

I went to the local mall parking lot today at about 11 am - EMPTY on a Tuesday morning. This is the same place I took my MSF safety course.

After 4 or five attempts braking straight, I could feel the difference in power. (like it broke in) after that I had 2 or 3 times that I could feel what felt like the back tire coming off the ground.

Obviously, I can not say that it did for sure. Being on the bike, and no one around to watch for me. But DEFIANTLY enough power.

I would have to tell you to do the same. It is a good learning experience for you too.

Just look for a location with no traffic at all, and a clean flat surface.

There is nothing wrong with getting to know your bike and abilities better!!!
Wait are you saying do some test braking with just my front brake? If you are, I can't. I have no front brakes and no place to mount them. I test my rear brakes all the time though. There is nothing like a good long brake slide with just the rear brake. Lock it up and see how far you can go.

·
Registered
941 Posts
How many miles do you have on your fronts. I am about 15k with factory orig.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How many miles do you have on your fronts. I am about 15k with factory orig.
As of today, I have 180 miles on my bike. I could feel a huge difference though once I went to the lot and started hard braking. after the third or fourth hard brake pass, it was totally different.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The only time my front brakes have seemed to *not* stop me as fast as needed is when I could attribute most of the need for a quick stop to driver error, whether mine or the idiot in front of me. Parking lot tests prove them to be more than adequate though.

Also, remember to allow extra room when fully loaded or riding 2-up. Couple hundred pounds adds a bit of distance. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brakes suck? Compared to what?

Compared to dual 320mm, semi-floating discs with Brembo four-piston calipers and braided-steel lines and sintered brake pads (on my Ducati Multistrada 1000S), yeah, the 900's single disc with Tokico two-pot caliper is weak. But, compared to other cruisers in its segment, to quote motorcycle-usa.com,

"While none of these cruisers can boast the invigorating braking prowess of a sportier street/sportbike, the Kawasaki’s brakes rated best of our comparo bunch. The front 300mm rotor pinched by two-piston Tokico caliper delivers a pleasing bite and feel at the lever. Teamed with the 270mm rear disc, the two binders bring things to a halt well enough, all the more impressive considering they slow down the heaviest curb weight at 619 lbs."

The "teamed with the rear brake..." is important. For quick, safe and short braking use both the front and rear brakes on the 900.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts