Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my bike up today to run some fuel in it and i decided to take it on a spin. When i went to move it i could barely budge to move it a few inches. So i put a jack under it and i couldnt get the front tire to spin freely. I didn't notice anything weird with the lines or anything. I even bled the line. I dragged her outta the garage and took her around the block. After slamming the brakes a few times i finally got the brakes hot. It was alot easier to move after that but still not 100% . Pads were replaced with ebc in the spring. Is there something wrong or is it just cause its 30° where im at?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like a stuck caliper to me. Take it off and inside to warm up then force the pistons in and out, look for corrosion in the cylinder. Then bleed and road test.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I started my bike up today to run some fuel in it and i decided to take it on a spin. When i went to move it i could barely budge to move it a few inches. So i put a jack under it and i couldnt get the front tire to spin freely. I didn't notice anything weird with the lines or anything. I even bled the line. I dragged her outta the garage and took her around the block. After slamming the brakes a few times i finally got the brakes hot. It was alot easier to move after that but still not 100% . Pads were replaced with ebc in the spring. Is there something wrong or is it just cause its 30° where im at?
Any normal temperature should not affect hydraulics. Closely inspect the rubber boot and the state of the pistons. Any splitting of the rubber or corrosion on the piston sides, or fluid leakage, and the caliper should be rebuilt with new seals and pistons.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a stuck caliper to me. Take it off and inside to warm up then force the pistons in and out, look for corrosion in the cylinder. Then bleed and road test.
Any normal temperature should not affect hydraulics. Closely inspect the rubber boot and the state of the pistons. Any splitting of the rubber or corrosion on the piston sides, or fluid leakage, and the caliper should be rebuilt with new seals and pistons.
Does anyone know if they sell a caliper rebuild kit online?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hold the Phone!!!!

How long has the bike been sitting?? do not need a rebuild - just a exercise- remove caliper and move piston back and forth or just wait till it warms up and ride the bike.

good opportunity to clean caliper but you do not need a rebuild!!

Pads rest on rotor all the time.

could also drain the fluid and add new fluid.

:nerd:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long has the bike been sitting?? do not need a rebuild - just a exercise- remove caliper and move piston back and forth or just wait till it warms up and ride the bike.

good opportunity to clean caliper but you do not need a rebuild!!

Pads rest on rotor all the time.

could also drain the fluid and add new fluid.

/forums/images/VulcanForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
Even in the summer when it gets ridden once a week it still does it. I know this isn’t right. Would like to fix it because it worries me more that it will lock up on me one day and get me hurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts