Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2008 vulcan classic and I want to change my front brake pads myself. I'm not a mechanic but I'll do my best. Any tips?

·
Registered
213 Posts
what I usually do:

Once the caliper is off the fork, compress the piston in with the old pads in place using a C-clamp (go slow)
Once the piston is pressed all the way back in, take the old pads out pop he new ones in, and put the new pads in. After reinsatalling the caliper onto the forks, squeeze the brake lever till you get positive pressure on the rotor.

Brakes in my opinion, are a probably one of the easiest maintenance projects you can do.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
what I usually do:

Brakes in my opinion, are a probably one of the easiest maintenance projects you can do.

Agree....

I taught myself a few years ago how to do them...google is your friend.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Agree....

I taught myself a few years ago how to do them...google is your friend.
+1 for sure. I remember the first time I ever did brakes and couldn't believe just how easy it is to do. It's one of those maintenance projects where it'll take you less time to just do it yourself than it'll take to ride up to the dealer and wait in the waiting room. Not to mention save you a few bucks.

While you're at it, consider getting some EBC HH pads for your bike, if they have them that fit your bike. They are great!

A service manual can be helpful, or even just YouTube videos. Lots of info on how to do them. While you're at it, just as a measure of good practice, consider bleeding and changing the fluid in your brakes too. It'll be a whole new bike.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
and btw....

the brakes were the VERY first thing I did on my own. I didn't even know how to change the oil. Had never taken the tank or fenders off.

yea... and look what eventually happened.

but it allllll started with learning how to change my own brakes.. than bleeding the brakes.. then putting new brake lines on.. then.. then.. then.

:p

(my thread on changing the oil for the first time is a classic. I still laugh about that.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts