Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Front brake lever does not seem to be lighting my tail light up at all.

The tail light still works when using the rear brake pedal however.

The strange part is when I multimeter the plug under the seat I'm still getting a spike in voltage (blue and black wires) when I engage the front brake lever. The same voltage as when I engage the rear brake pedal. So I think my problem has to be post plug, but I can't figure out where or how that would be.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Brake light should light up with EITHER brake lever pressed. That being said, if you are getting voltage readings at the harness, then there is likely a break in the wiring after the harness to the brake light. Did you check continuity at the brake light itself or just at the harness?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am not sure what that post by Jsack12 was. I am not sure he isn't explaining a problem that he has had also... If he is making a statement then that statement is absolutely false.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
gtbag,, check the switch under the hand brake reservoir. there are two small connectors. they may have come off/loose. put them on snugg and see if the lite worx.
if it doesn't. take the connector off and put a jumper wire between the two wire ends. does the brake lite come on?
1. if it doesn't, you have a bad connection in the wire harness most likely in the headlight bucket.
2. if it does, then check the switch itself for continuity when the lever is depressed. if no continuity, you have a bad switch. replace it. If you do have continuity when depressed, you have a bad connection, clean the connectors and refit them snugg.
3. yor welcome, poncho

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doomcrewinc - you're correct. I reread the post I referenced earlier, and he was referring to his problem not an assertion of fact.

I just can't understand how the same voltage through the same wires can produce a different result down at the tail light.

I'll try your steps today if the rain holds off. Thanks Poncho.

If those don't work I'll pull the rear tail section off and check voltage/continuity at the light itself.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
gtbag,, check the switch under the hand brake reservoir. there are two small connectors. they may have come off/loose. put them on snugg and see if the lite worx.
if it doesn't. take the connector off and put a jumper wire between the two wire ends. does the brake lite come on?
1. if it doesn't, you have a bad connection in the wire harness back to the light.
2. if it does, then check the switch itself for continuity when the lever is depressed. if no continuity, you have a bad switch. replace it. If you do have continuity when depressed, you have a bad connection, clean the connectors and refit them snugg.
3. yor welcome, poncho
Poncho,
Unless I'm mistaken I don't think it's the switch or a bad connection at the switch, based on his original post:
The strange part is when I multimeter the plug under the seat I'm still getting a spike in voltage (blue and black wires) when I engage the front brake lever. The same voltage as when I engage the rear brake pedal.
It sounds to me like it's after the connection under the seat between there and the light itself.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
It sounds to me like it's after the connection under the seat between there and the light itself.
if it was, then the foot brake would not be able to illuminate it.
it is at the front switch or at a connector to the main harness, which would be located in the headlight bucket.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
if it was, then the foot brake would not be able to illuminate it. it is at the front switch or at a connector to the main harness.
I know very little about motorcycle wiring currently (get it? CURRENT-ly! haha oh wow that was bad) so what you're saying is that the wiring from both the rear pedal and front lever switches converge at the harness under the seat and from there go as a single signal to the light?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I know very little about motorcycle wiring currently (get it? CURRENT-ly! haha oh wow that was bad) so what you're saying is that the wiring from both the rear pedal and front lever switches converge at the harness under the seat and from there go as a single signal to the light?
bingo! lite bulbs are going on somewhere. actually they converge elsewhere in/on the main harness. but yes there is only one set of wires going to the back tail lite assembly complete with Run, Brake, L&R turn and Neg. I wire bikes in my sleep. poncho

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
bingo! lite bulbs are going on somewhere. actually they converge elsewhere in/on the main harness. but yes there is only one set of wires going to the back tail lite assembly. I wire bikes in my sleep. poncho
Thanks! I know this wasn't my thread but I've garnered lots of info for future reference. I love learning new things!:highfive:

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
and the connector under the seat is just mainly a quick disconnect for fender removal etc?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
and the connector under the seat is just mainly a quick disconnect for fender removal etc?
dam this krowd is catchin on fass.. yes, that is part of the engineering marvel from Japan and a few other world class factories.. (i did not mention milwaukee).
these bikes are bilt using sub assemblies that are quik ez access and service. but am sure that 'ventually them wisconsonites mite join the real world about 20 years behind the curve. poncho

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
dam this krowd is catchin on fass.. yes, that is part of the engineering marvel from Japan and a few other world class factories.. (i did not mention milwaukee).
these bikes are bilt using sub assemblies that are quik ez access and service. but am sure that 'ventually them wisconsonites mite join the real world about 20 years behind the curve. poncho
If you look at the differences between those Wisconsonites and those at Victory motorcycles (another US company) you'll see how ONE American made motorcycle is superior is quality to the other. Those wisconsonites like to make things so you have to rely on dealers to fix everything they know will break or wear out often. Dirty bastids! Found some interesting videos on YouTube on the subject

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

So I pulled the connections off the front brake switch and one of the prongs just broke off. I ordered a new switch from K&S. I don't think that'll fix the problem, but at least I'll have a switch that isn't so corroded.

The previous owner must have left this bike parked on the beach every day because it is one of the rustier bikes I've ever worked on. I'm wondering if maybe the connections are so corroded that I'm getting the voltage but not the amps to light the tail light any more. Wouldn't that cause a noticeable resistance on the multimeter though?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I'm wondering if maybe the connections are so corroded that I'm getting the voltage but not the amps to light the tail light any more. Wouldn't that cause a noticeable resistance on the multimeter though?
if you had really bad connections you would get a voltage drop.. your mulitmeter is most likely not an amp meter for dc volts..

take the 2 wires/connectors that attached to the front brake switch and put them together. jump them. Does your brake lite come on? ifso, your switch is/was yor culprit. obviously you should put new/clean connectors on the new clean brake switch.
dont over think this thing. keep it simple. just do it. poncho

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you had really bad connections you would get a voltage drop.. your mulitmeter is most likely not an amp meter for dc volts..

take the 2 wires/connectors that attached to the front brake switch and put them together. jump them. Does your brake lite come on? ifso, your switch is/was yor culprit. obviously you should put new/clean connectors on the new clean brake switch.
dont over think this thing. keep it simple. just do it. poncho

Poncho, when you say jump them what exactly do you mean? Sorry I'm not exactly an expert on motorcycle electrics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Replaced the switch, sprayed the connections down with some terminal cleaner and that solved the problem.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Poncho, when you say jump them what exactly do you mean? Sorry I'm not exactly an expert on motorcycle electrics.
gtbag,, well its not like an ambush or anything. it is just a term for shorting across two terminals.. in this case it is the end of two wires that terminate at that faulty switch. the switch is just that. a shorting = (jumper) momentary switch. if you pull the two wires off and connect them together you are shorting the circuit, or jumping, or making the connection, completing the circuit.. its not rocket science. its just like when you turn on a lite switch. you complete the circuit.
as a test, when you do this, if everything else works, then the problem is either in the switch or in the connections to the switch.
you changed the switch and all is well. ponchout

·
Registered
578 Posts
^HA! I knew you could type in English!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts