Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Front brake issue

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sabre-t 
#1 ·
I just replaced the front brake pads on my 1700 Voyager. Now when I brake, it feels like the front brakes want to lock up. Any ideas on why?

#4 ·
You didn't say what type of pads you used. If you used ceramic pads, they require a chemical treatment for proper conditioning, so ignore the following.

With sintered brake pads, it is very important to "seal" the surfaces. After riding a little while (20 - 100 miles is sufficient in my experience) gently stopping to allow the new pads to conform to the rotors, a series of hard stops is needed to heat up the surfaces and seal them. You want to avoid hard stops during those first miles, if possible. Find an area where you can get up speed, preferably at least 60 mph, then perform a hard stop. Not a panic stop, but still quite hard. Repeat 6 - 10 times in succession. This will seal the surface of the brake pads. If done right, your stops will be much smoother, but still strong. If you haven't done the sealing step, it is not surprising that you are still having binding problems.

If they are still binding after proper sealing, you may have other brake issues. Did you clean the caliper pistons while you had the pads out? One or more pistons may be sticking. Road grime can build up on the pistons and cause them to stick or damage seals causing them to leak. Every time I take the pads out, whether to change them or while changing a tire, etc. I unbolt the calipers, push the pistons out further than normal travel, and clean all of the piston and other surfaces with 80% + isopropyl alcohol and q-tips (you can use brake cleaner, too).

Some people think this is overkill. I guess they think like the brake guy in the AT&T commercial, "If your brakes don't stop you, something else will."

Reactions: Peg
#6 ·
I have had an intermittent front brake issue since I bought the bike used 5 years ago. Issue was when stopping with a prolonged braking method, one of the front pads sounded like it was skipping on the disc. ONLY after a long breaking action. So easy to avoid. However, when I had everything apart recently for the Steering Head Bearings replacement, I took the calipers off the hoses, broke them apart, and cleaned out the innards and the pistons. I was shocked as to how much gunk was everywhere. Got it all spiffy and shiny and put back together and the front brakes feel like new. Well worth cleaning them

#7 ·
I change the brake fluid every two years and every 2nd fluid change (4 year intervals) I rebuild the calipers with new rubber parts. That is on the maintenance schedule for the Voyager, but I would do that anyway, even if it wasn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.