Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my voyager abs a couple of years now but recently I have only noticed the front brake feels a little soft, the lever travelling about 3/4 of the way in. However if I put my back brake on for a few seconds first and the K/act activates the front brake is hard and the lever locks about a 1/4 of the way in. IF I pump the front brake it really doesn't make any difference to its final position or feel, still about 3/4. There are no obvious fluid leaks

The Pads are a bit more then half worn and the ABS brakes work as designed if I lock them up. 26000 km about 16000 miles.

As I said I have only just noticed this (probably there all the time:rolleyes:) and wonder if it has always been like this but now I know about it, I am always aware of it.

Is this normal?
Do I just need new:confused: pads? or,
Is it a sign of something not quite right with the K/act braking system

Your thought please :)

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I've had my voyager abs a couple of years now but recently I have only noticed the front brake feels a little soft, the lever travelling about 3/4 of the way in. However if I put my back brake on for a few seconds first and the K/act activates the front brake is hard and the lever locks about a 1/4 of the way in. IF I pump the front brake it really doesn't make any difference to its final position or feel, still about 3/4. There are no obvious fluid leaks

The Pads are a bit more then half worn and the ABS brakes work as designed if I lock them up. 26000 km about 16000 miles.

As I said I have only just noticed this (probably there all the time:rolleyes:) and wonder if it has always been like this but now I know about it, I am always aware of it. Is this normal?
Do I just need new:confused: pads? or,
Is it a sign of something not quite right with the K/act braking system
Your thought please :)
I'm having something very similar to that. No it wasn't that way when the bike was newer. In my case the rear brake lever is spongy unless I apply front brake first, then it seems to pump up the rear brake. My bike is three years old now and started this probably 4 to 6 months ago. Now I did flush out by brake fluid system about three months ago and seemed good right after that. But slowly it came back being soft again unless I apply the front brake first. I am very sure that there is no air in the brake lines. So I'm just living with it the way it is. I mean it breaks really good especially since I added the HH pads but the brake action just isn't what it used to be.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm having something very similar to that. No it wasn't that way when the bike was newer. In my case the rear brake lever is spongy unless I apply front brake first, then it seems to pump up the rear brake. My bike is three years old now and started this probably 4 to 6 months ago. Now I did flush out by brake fluid system about three months ago and seemed good right after that. But slowly it came back being soft again unless I apply the front brake first. I am very sure that there is no air in the brake lines. So I'm just living with it the way it is. I mean it breaks really good especially since I added the HH pads but the brake action just isn't what it used to be.

Thanks David glad to know I'm not going mad... As you said it still works well but i like to understand what it is. Mine is an 09 model as well and I had the brakes and clutch fluid changed a while back. My pads are still stock pads.

I just went out and tried my back brake and it does the same as yours, hold the front brake for a couple of seconds and the back brake pumps up hard. Must be the K/act system

I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of meat left on the pads.

Thats 2 so far and both 09's so odds on there ahould be a few more with the same issue

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Thanks David glad to know I'm not going mad... As you said it still works well but i like to understand what it is. Mine is an 09 model as well and I had the brakes and clutch fluid changed a while back. My pads are still stock pads.

I just went out and tried my back brake and it does the same as yours, hold the front brake for a couple of seconds and the back brake pumps up hard. Must be the K/act system

I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of meat left on the pads.

Thats 2 so far and both 09's so odds on there ahould be a few more with the same issue
It shouldn't have anything to do with the amount of pad that's left as they are self adjusting. I don't know why they are doing that. Just hope it doesn't get any worse, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Different bike, but I've noticed on my 05 800 that my front brake seems much stronger at the lever right after I remove the front wheel for tire change, after the caliper is spread for removal and then pumped couple times to readjust the brake. After day or to of riding lever seems soft again. No ABS or linked to rear in any way, rear is drum and cable operated on mine. I just live with it, always stops me.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I have an '11 and the brakes act the same way; apply the rear brake, not much there, apply the front with it, and it pumps up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts