Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I changed my chain and sprockets out. I put on a 16T on the front and a 46T on the back. Both are Steel JT Sprockets. I had read up on this forum that there may be some rubbing on the chain guard but that it would go away after a little bit. I'm still hearing it rub when accelerating around 2.5-3.5K. I have the slack set to 25mm. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. I'm thinking about going the opposite way and going with a 15/43 set up instead, anyone whose done this did you have to take any links out? and if so how many?

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I did stock front and 43 rear.smoothed out the lower gears. This is the WORST bike I have ever seen about tightening the chain. I would get it perfect and when I tightened the axle but it went to banjo string tight. Finally figured out that it would stay if I torqued the nut to 20 ft/lb before l adjusted the chain. And then I use a piece of copper wire in the rear sprocket to move it to the stops before I torque the axle nut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it definitely took me a few attempts to get the slack adjusted properly, thanks for the tips. I went and ordered a 15T front and a 43T rear today. Did you end up taking out any links on your chain?

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
zoom, zoom, zoom

Yeah it definitely took me a few attempts to get the slack adjusted properly, thanks for the tips. I went and ordered a 15T front and a 43T rear today. Did you end up taking out any links on your chain?
yes I did take out 2 links, Now the sad part is that I am at the age where I have stopped trying to do this stuff with a nail and some GlobeMaster pliers.So I bought the " right tools"
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040PM2EI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL38L3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame].
Yeah I know, what kind of dummie spends More on the tools than the chain and sprockets cost??
When the rear tire went last month, a buddy and I ( actually Ike from youtube " Cars and Cameras" ) bought a pneumatic Derek Weaver tire changer. But it sure made changing the tire easy and I didn't mess up the rim. and I only have to change about another 300 tires for me to pay :devil2::devil2:eek:ff my half :nerd:
https://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-garage/motorcycle-tire-changers/weaver-w-m894xs-motorcycle-atv-car-truck-tire-changer/
I am spending WAY too much money on this scooter.:grin2:
Oh I am using the clip master links rather than the rivets, they are simplier quicker to do and I doubt that my 63HP scooter will destroy them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts