Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't ride for 33 years and the price of gas got me on a 900 Custom in April this year. Wow, I should have never quit riding.

Just moved up the 1700 last Friday. It's runs much warmer and the ride is much better than I thought either would be. I am hearing a lot more gear noise than I thought I could ever hear on a bike. Is that normal? My main concern is that the bike does not seem to have much power. I am thinking that by following the 2500 rpm break in procedure, that I may not be seeing the potential of this bike. Sadly, I don't have the experience to know. Any thoughts about this will be appreciated.

I have been reading the forums since April this year and this is my first post. Thanks to all of you for the wealth of information you have made available here.:hypnotized:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome back to riding. I think you will find that it will have a lot more power when it has a few miles on it and you run it at higher rpms. There is two schools of though on breaking a bike in, I'll leave that up to you. Some of the '09 and '10 bikes seem to have a lot of gear or belt noise. I run my belt at the looser end of the specs, some run theirs a lot looser.
James

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think you will love the VV. Keep in mind that the fairing and lowers on this bike are going to keep alot of the noise in around you, ( heat too.) As far as power, they have plenty of power. They are great cruising bikes. I have a 2010 with 14,000 miles and it seems like the more miles, the better it runs. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I rode a 900 custom at the Vulcan Nation Demo ride and I was able to keep up with the ride leader who was on a Vaquero no problem. We left the rest of the pack in the dust and were hitting 35 mph corners at 70 mph. Of course this is after he had been around the course a couple dozen times and I had been around it about 10 times.

I was impressed with the 900 Custom. Don't expect the Voyager to ride like the 900 Custom. It is a touring cruiser and is geared for cruising.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. She has quieted down a bit since that first ride and the heat is not really that bad, now that I know what to expect. I like the idea that she will only get better with age.

I have paid a lot more attention to just how much throttle you can give her to reach 2500 rpm. It ain't much. Bet I was worried about nothing.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Welcome, biggest problem I had after moving up from a Suzie C50 (800) was weight, belt whine lots of new noises and the constant thought it was geared wrong or I wasn't giving it enough stick.

Loosened the belt to Harley specs, whine gone. Did lots of slow miles around town now I can throw it around like I was born on it. Noises, once the belt whine was gone the rest seemed minor. Still get the top end rattle many in the forum have written about, but I have gone back to the 20 second idle start up routine and that seems to have settled it a bit, I think the idle time when the bike is level while you glove and helmet up must distribute the small amount of oil a bit better.

Get up and go, well I was forever chugging the engine and the drive until I had a 'duh' moment and realized it wasn't a fast road bike but a 5 speed Cruiser with overdrive that needed to be ridden one gear down to what I was used to, in other words keep the revs around 2200 to 2800 and it goes like a rocket and doesn't appear to use any more fuel.

Works for me and I love the bike (regardless of heat)

Vic

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think you'll find that the 900 will be about as fast as the 1700 until you get past 70 mph, running against a strong head wind, climbing up long hills or a combination of all the above. This is when the torque and hp really shines. One thing that you should notice now is the more relaxed exhaust note and engine speed while at highway and interstate speeds. At 70 mph (GPS) or (74) on the speedo the 1700 will be at about 2700 rpms, not sure but I would imagine the 900 would be at about 4000 rpms. Over a long day in the saddle, you will get off the bike more relaxed and not so wired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly what I was thinking Vic. Was sure I was riding a lemon with handle bars. Even though it was a very comfortable lemon. On the 900, 70 mph felt like it was way much more and there was always a slight buzz in the handle bars. On this 1700, the buzz is gone and 70 mph keeps sneaking up on me everywhere I ride.

As Dr. G pointed out the 900 moves pretty good on the low end. I was expecting the same thing, well, maybe a bit more, on the 1700. Turns out, the cruiser fits my riding style pretty good. After all, if I had the need for speed, I could have gotten one of those Ninja things.

Once again, thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts