Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little history, after I took the MSF course and got my license I really couldn't afford a bike so I just basically rented Harleys (eaglerider). My first real ride was from a 1200C sportster with forward pegs and I got used to the forward pegs real fast. When I started riding the bigger softtails was introduced to the heel and toe shifter which took me a while to figure out but eventually got used to it and do see the logic behind the heel and toe shifter. So for the past 2 years I thought heel and toe was for me.

2 years later after renting bikes I purchased my Vulcan 900 classic which has floorboards (heel and toe). After putting a few hundred miles using the heel and toe shifter I started just shifting with only the toe part. For me I tend to feel more in control of the bike when just toe shifting. Now I feel like I'm just wasting the 'heel' part of the shifter.

What I was wondering has anyone got rid of their floorboards and just stuck to forward pegs?

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
No reason you couldn't. Some have removed the floorboards and gone to pegs as you describe, others have "removed" the heel portion of the shifter and kept the floorboards. Whatever floats your boat, or in the case, shifts your gears!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When I bought my 1500 I was preoccupied with using the heel shift, which took awhile to get used to, and clearing the boards when coming to a stop. Well, like most everything else it became second nature and now I love the heel to toe. Riding my 1200 Sporty goes back to the "Old School" type of riding with vibration, pegs, and toe only shifting which adds to my riding experience. Do what feels right and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I never used the heel shifter on my 900. I just didn't care for the feel. My Vic only has a toe shifter, and I don't miss the heel shifter one bit.

But I do like floorboards, and am happy to still have those.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
It dose not matter to me. I have had 3 bikes that have had only toe shifters and 2 that have had heel/toe shifters. I can bounce back and forth between them and not think anything about it. But the bikes I have had that only have the toe shifter had pegs (nighthawk, 1100V-star custom, Mean Streak). If I got on a bike with boards I would probably be hunting for the heel shifter though :D.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I never used the heel shifter on my 900. I just didn't care for the feel. My Vic only has a toe shifter, and I don't miss the heel shifter one bit.

But I do like floorboards, and am happy to still have those.
plus 1, with my sport bike background, never had one, I never use mine on my classic 99.9% of the time, the other .1% I play with it. I thought about just cutting it off, but change my mind for resale reasons.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have buddies who have Ultra Classics and Road Kings that have just removed the heel shifter.

My vaquero is my first bike with a heel shifter and I freaking love it. I'm relatively tall so I've always liked forward controls, but am really digging the big floorboards on the vaquero. It's a good spot for a size 14.

·
Registered
340 Posts
we have bikes in the family that have heel/toe shifters.
I still strictly toe-shift those. Cant get the feel for heel shifters

·
Registered
340 Posts
My first real ride was from a 1200C sportster with forward pegs and I got used to the forward pegs real fast. When I started riding the bigger softtails was introduced to the heel and toe shifter which took me a while to figure out but eventually got used to it and do see the logic behind the heel and toe shifter. So for the past 2 years I thought heel and toe was for me.

2 years later after renting bikes I purchased my Vulcan 900 classic which has floorboards (heel and toe). After putting a few hundred miles using the heel and toe shifter I started just shifting with only the toe part. For me I tend to feel more in control of the bike when just toe shifting. Now I feel like I'm just wasting the 'heel' part of the shifter.

What I was wondering has anyone got rid of their floorboards and just stuck to forward pegs?

and now back to our regularly scheduled program

1 - 13 of 13 Posts