Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am still fairly new to the motorcycle been riding since febuary this year. Now i have the oppertunity to get a 2003 1600 classic and i am wanting a bigger bike now as i am 280 an about 5ft 9. And the 800 is a nice ride but i am starting to feel a lil cramped on it, i ride about 60 miles a day back an forth to work an its beginning to be a rough ride on the 800. So i am wanting a bigger ride for the trips back an forth to work. Now i guess i am asking for advice on going from a 800 to a 1600 in only 5 months an what the difference will be like. I know the weight of the bike will be an issue at first but i think i will get used to it the 800 seemed to be a lil heavy when i first started ridding but it is a feather now.Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Go 4 it.....They r a great bike and u will really enjoy it.......:)
Test ride it if u can....Make sure it fits u the way u want......That is the best way if u can take 4 a ride....Have fun, ride safe.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
hey guys i am still fairly new to the motorcycle been riding since febuary this year. Now i have the oppertunity to get a 2003 1600 classic and i am wanting a bigger bike now as i am 280 an about 5ft 9. And the 800 is a nice ride but i am starting to feel a lil cramped on it, i ride about 60 miles a day back an forth to work an its beginning to be a rough ride on the 800. So i am wanting a bigger ride for the trips back an forth to work. Now i guess i am asking for advice on going from a 800 to a 1600 in only 5 months an what the difference will be like. I know the weight of the bike will be an issue at first but i think i will get used to it the 800 seemed to be a lil heavy when i first started ridding but it is a feather now.Any advice would be appreciated.
I went from a Yamaha 650 Classic to a 1700 Nomad with no problems. I was comfortable enough on the Nomad to take my wife on a long ride the day after I brought it home. The Nomad in my opinion is just as easy or easier to handle at low speeds than the Yamaha was. Just take it easy and ride within your own limits and you will be fine with the big bike. You did not say what your inseam is but at 5'-9" you should be OK. Just make sure that you can flat foot the bike when you roll it up straight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have sat on the bike an have had no problem with it it feel like sitting on the 800 so no problem there

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Respect the machine and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ditto to all of the above. I went from a 900 to a 1600 Clasic and I'm similar in build at 5'10" 255. Respect the machine and ride within your limits as the gentlemen above said and you'll be fine. 1600 Classic is a great bike. Loved mine and just sold it recently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Preciate the advice I guess I was just wanting to know if it is a good move for someone who has only been riding for 5 months

·
Registered
409 Posts
You will be fine with the 1600. I am a 5'6" woman at about 140lbs and I handle my 2004 Vulcan 1600 with ease. The thing I love about this bike right away was the low center of gravity....hence easier handling, but I have long arms and long legs though. The handle bars on the 1600 are very wide and so that might be a stretch for slow speed manueuvers. You can always change the bars. Otherwise...I say ...go for it and don't look back. Enjoy your new bike with tons of torque!!!:D

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you were unsure of your skills and asked about a z14 or z1000, there "may" be a reason for pause. Those are quick rev, get the front off the ground bikes.

What you are talking about now is your 800 but more. More weight (you'll only feel it in slow speed), more torque, a little more speed. But it is a larger extension of the same bike.

It will pull a lot harder, but still a low rev, high torque maching. Enjoy the bike. I like mine a lot. No problem.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You should be ok... The 1500 should also be a consideration. There isn't much difference in power between the 1500 and 1600, but the 1500 would be an easier transition. The 1600 has a longer wheelbase and different (wider) bars; when I sit on the 1600 it feels like a much bigger bike than my 1500, but it's only about 20 lbs. heavier. You will definitely need risers if you go with the 1600, or maybe change out the bars.

There are lots of good deals out there on both discontinued models. I'd go out and take each one for a test ride and decide from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys an gal when I got time I will post a pic of the bike it has ape hangers on it an it just feels right kinda like my 800 when I got it. The bike fits really well

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm riding a 900 Custom, and plan to upgrade to a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 whenever finances allow, hopefully in a summer or two, so I think that the jump you're looking at is perfectly fine and shouldn't require too much to acclimate to the change. 'Course, five months isn't a great deal of experience, but if you're feeling comfortable with the idea I'm sure it'll be fine. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
269 Posts
You will be fine. I started with a 750 Shadow 4 years ago and switched to a Nomad 1700 a few weeks back. I was nervous at first but it has been fine so far, the bike is a handful when backing it up and moving it around but once underway no problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well guys the deal didn't go through not getting the 1600 had to trade for a 07 vt1100 shadow spirit with 11k miles on it but I will be getting another vulcan in the future I miss my 800 it was just getting a lil small for me the bonds is ok my old bike was well used an needed a lot of attention that I didn't have time to give it it needed new shocks they were a bit worn an the tranny was going out so I had to trade for what I could get. I will still be a member of this site as there is a lot of informative ppl here an the honda forum sucks anyways..... til I get a new vulcan ride safe everyone

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bummer :-( BUT as a former Shadow owner I have nothing but good to say about Shadows. If I had more money and the room I would still have it too!

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the record.

I went from a Yamaha 650 Classic to a 1700 Nomad with no problems. I was comfortable enough on the Nomad to take my wife on a long ride the day after I brought it home. The Nomad in my opinion is just as easy or easier to handle at low speeds than the Yamaha was. Just take it easy and ride within your own limits and you will be fine with the big bike. You did not say what your inseam is but at 5'-9" you should be OK. Just make sure that you can flat foot the bike when you roll it up straight.
I know this is an old thread, but for others that might be asking similar questions: Ditto. I went from the Yamaha 650 Star to the !500 Vulcan Classic with no problem other than difficulty wiping the silly permigrin off my face.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts