Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying the new frog toggs there sellin,the fit is great with longer sleves and velcro at the wrist, double flap enclosed zipper they seem to be much better made than the old green ones. Has any one used them as of yet? found some at a local for 52.00$ a set.They do look alot nicer than the older models and come in black.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Are you talking motorcycle specific Road Toads? There are some negatives with Frogg Toggs. In an all day rain some moisture will pool on your seat so you butt will get damp. A hot pipe will melt the material real easy. On a naked bike the wind will tear it apart.

I have a set I won at a rally that packs down small. They are OK but not great. I also have a set that I found on clearance that are overalls with a real nice jacket. I think they are designed for workers instead of casual. The only problem is that they don't pack down very small.

I always wear a reflective vest over the frogg toggs to help keep them from billowing in the wind and provide a little more visibility in the rain.

Here is where I have bought mine in the past.
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/search/search.asp?r=MainHeader KW box&a=browse&k=frogg toggs

·
Registered
223 Posts
So, TwoWheel, you do Toggs or do you recommend something else?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Still using the Frogg Toggs, but will buy something made to use with cruisers in the future. The set of Frogg Toggs I won have Duct tape on the inside of the right leg thanks to the exhaust pipe.

Quality motorcycle rain gear will have something melt proof on the inside of the leg. Some will have a very thin hood that will fit inside the helmet so you don't get any water running down your neck.

If I know I am going to be riding in an all day rain I will wear synthetic clothes and textile riding gear under my rain suit instead of cotton and kevlar gear. I also wear leg gaiters, waterproof overgloves.

If it is hot out I will just get wet because the textile gear dries pretty quick.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks! We have only done toggs, and melted them in a few spots. Haven't looked too hard for better, but figured there had to be some out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Frogg Toggs and have experienced the right inside leg melt to my pipes this past Thursday. Road in the rain all day long thru Indiana down to Kentucky. They didn't melt until I had to sit at idle for a couple of minutes with my feet on the ground. Then the odor of burning plastic let me know something was not right. :( I did catch it soon enough that they didn't melt all the way thru. A repair kit came with my suit so I will be giving that a try. Riding they were fine, no flapping in the breeze no pooling in the seat probably because of the fairing. I also wear Frogg Togg gaters over my boots. Dry all day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thinking about buying the new frog toggs there sellin,the fit is great with longer sleves and velcro at the wrist, double flap enclosed zipper they seem to be much better made than the old green ones. Has any one used them as of yet? found some at a local for 52.00$ a set.They do look alot nicer than the older models and come in black.
I have been using the Frogg Toggs Horny Toads rain suit with the jack in Hi Viz yellow. I am also using the Frogg Leggs over boots and Rain Off Gloves to go over my regular gloves. I feel much more visible with this jacket. The boots do a good job of keeping me dry, have good grip on wet pavement, and are easy to get on/off. I have not had any problems with leaks, pooling, or flapping in the wind. I ride regardless of weather.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I do have a set of gore-tex rain gear that I wore when backpacking. Since I am not doing that anymore I might start wearing them on the bike. Very expensive but are designed to keep you dry in gale force driven rains. Not sure about the pant leg near the pipes though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts