Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody changed out their horn? I hate the stock one. It's loud enough; but it's a terrible sound. I want more of an American car sound. But I don't want to go to an air horn. Suggestions?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes, a lot of folks have swapped their horns. It is an easy fix. If you go with an air horn you probably need to run a separate power wire through a relay. See Gadget's Fixit Page if you need direction on that. If you go with a simple electric car horn, you may be okay. You just don't want to burn up the horn switch by pulling to much voltage through it. I ended up getting a horn from AutoZone for about $15. It was a Highway Blaster low tone. Works great. Not as loud as some of the air horns, but better than... meep,meep... zip-tang!!:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey J.Pirate, I am about to take you're advice and install a Freeway Blaster horn on
my V900. Just wanted to make sure there are no issures with a 10amp fuse specified for the blaster and a lower rating on the Vulvan's system. Thanks for you're input.

·
Registered
273 Posts
new horn

Do a search on the toolbar for new horn/stebel horn. You will be amazed at how many post there are regarding them! I put on a stebel two tone horn which was only $39 through DK. Amazing difference. I agree with the relay from Pirates post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
sup guys, just registered up and trolling thru the posts...unrelated to vulcans, i just added a Stebel Nautalis air horn to my ZRX...i disconnected the compressor and ran some tubing to the horn, as there isnt much room to hide things...hid the compressor behind the side cover...LOWD...went down to the beach and scared pedistrians...

...as you can see by my First Post, it might be a moot point having now...

anyways heres some pics...

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you change your button horn out with a Fiam am-80 Hi or lo horn from Napa, you can mount it (with the piece of metal it comes with) under the front right tank using the cable hold down bolt. You'll see it, follow the cable group around the fork. Then, you can just run the stock button horn wires to the Fiam horn and not worry about extra wiring.

Then, when you want to run a louder horn, you can run a fused 12 volt wire up the stem of the bike, mount a relay up there by the button horn, hook doubler on the 12 volt side of the horn and tie that to the relay, then mount the Stebel freeway blaster over on the right side somewhere. You'll need a 20 amp circuit for the stebel or it will blow fuses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
most places that sell the stebel, or if you go on amazon, they usualy list a plug n play wiring kit to use the existing horn wires...i got it and it made the wiring simple...it came w a relay, so i had an extra w the one that came w the horn itself

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I did the same process with the plug and play wiring harness. I placed it at the same place that MrClean located his, but used an old chrome U bracket left over from some old crash bar pegs. Just bent it into a L shape and bolted right up. Looks pretty good, and puts the sound at the front of the bike where I want it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Oh, and once you replace the horn, EARLY in the morning when you roll out and go to start the bike, DON'T push the wrong button in your sleepy stumbling.

You and most of your neighbors will wake up real sudden like.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh, and once you replace the horn, EARLY in the morning when you roll out and go to start the bike, DON'T push the wrong button in your sleepy stumbling.

You and most of your neighbors will wake up real sudden like.
And its real embarrasing to have to explain how you fell off the bike sitting still!:eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 on the stebel. Mounted mine in front and below the front of the tank. nice and clean. Painted the stebel cap silver to match the bike. It really gets you noticed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts