Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was flushing out my coolant to try and get rid of the rest of those black paint specs that i posted about earlier. i drained the coolant and planned on putting the distilled water in there to flush it out better. i started the bike without any water or coolant in it and was wondering why the idle wouldn't go down. i ran it for about a minute when i realised what i have done:eek: the bike didn't get that hot but i was still freaking out. after i finished my flush and filled with new coolant, i started checking for leaks. i checked the oil for any color difference or level change. it seems to be fine and all i can do now is keep an eye on it to see if i have done any permanant damage. i'm just letting people now that if you dont pay attention you could be an idiot like me and do this:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Of course you're fine. You could run it for several minutes without hurting it. Sorry but you over reacted on that one. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course you're fine. You could run it for several minutes without hurting it. Sorry but you over reacted on that one. :)
without any coolant? i figured it would heat up real quick and blow gasketts, o rings and possibly crack the head. you know what i mean? what kind of idiot forgetts to put water or coolant in when flushing the system? i dont mean to beat myself up but gosh.... ya know?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's not like you rode it down the road like that - just an idle in your garage for 1 minute - should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
without any coolant? i figured it would heat up real quick and blow gasketts, o rings and possibly crack the head. you know what i mean? what kind of idiot forgetts to put water or coolant in when flushing the system? i dont mean to beat myself up but gosh.... ya know?
Yes without any coolant. Especially with the time frame you quoted. It would have to sit still at idle for quite a while before it hurt anything.
Even though the cylinder fins aren't deep as a non liquid cooled engine, I believe one could take off the radiator to let air flow over the cylinders and could ride it just fine so long as you're in motion. I nor anyone else would do this, but I'm just making a point that it would run OK so long as air is flowing over and around the engine.
I'll tell ya what an idiot is. A few months ago I bought a foam scrubbing pad to get off the bug splatters. The scrubber side of the pad felt soft against my hand. So are you getting the picture yet? Yes I used it on the bug splatter and it did scratched the paint & chrome a little. I have since buffed it out but I called myself a few names when I saw what I did. :eek:

·
Registered
217 Posts
You have air fins and 5 quarts of oil to help keep it cool, thats all some motorcycle use (Harley). But even flushing the motor its best to let it cool before putting in cold water. Putting in cold water in a really hot motor can warp the heads. Its probably not good for the water pump to run dry for a long time but for a few mins all should be fine. I can understand your concern but you should be ok.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes without any coolant. Especially with the time frame you quoted. It would have to sit still at idle for quite a while before it hurt anything.
Even though the cylinder fins aren't deep as a non liquid cooled engine, I believe one could take off the radiator to let air flow over the cylinders and could ride it just fine so long as you're in motion. I nor anyone else would do this, but I'm just making a point that it would run OK so long as air is flowing over and around the engine.
I'll tell ya what an idiot is. A few months ago I bought a foam scrubbing pad to get off the bug splatters. The scrubber side of the pad felt soft against my hand. So are you getting the picture yet? Yes I used it on the bug splatter and it did scratched the paint & chrome a little. I have since buffed it out but I called myself a few names when I saw what I did. :eek:
lol, i feel your pain, i bet my neighbors thought someone was getting their ass chewed but then realised i was yelling at myself.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have air fins and 5 quarts of oil to help keep it cool, thats all some motorcycle use (Harley). But even flushing the motor its best to let it cool before putting in cold water. Putting in cold water in a really hot motor can warp the heads. Its probably not good for the water pump to run dry for a long time but for a few mins all should be fine. I can understand your concern but you should be ok.
yeah, i thought of that before i started the process. i set the distilled water jugs out in the sun all day then do the flushing. i even microwave the water before dumping it in to heat it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts