Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Around here ,( Southwestern Pa), this is the season when they go around and oil and chip the roads. It consists of a crew that will spray a light tar coating on the asphalt followed by about 1/2 inch of crushed gravel as a top coat.

People complain about lawn clippings, but driving on a couple mile stretch of gravel is no fun at all.
Why they do it I have no idea. It doesn't seem to preserve the roads...? Besides being dangerous to bikes it dings up the paint on vehicles too.

Anyone else out there have to put up with this??

Stay safe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It hides the PA potholes until winter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here in Oklahoma, they just pour some asphalt into the potholes...which then gets flung by the car in front of you, and also don't solve the pothole problem, just gives the appearance of that for a few weeks. It's a year round process. Seriously, they stand on the side of the roads and highways, when there is a gap, they walk out with a shovel full, put it in, return to the safety of the side, coast clears, they return to "pat it down". Voila...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Around here it is called "chip sealing". I hate it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
They do that here too,seems like every road I have to use.I got a good cut on my nose from the pieces being flung off tires.Got smashed in the face many times from it.Makes me feel like the guy picking up the balls from the golf course while everybody tries to bean him.Tons of paint chips too,as you mentioned

·
Registered
25 Posts
Necessary evil. All the little cracks you see in the road surface, those will be completely broken up year after year from water permeating through under the asphalt from the winter freeze/thaw cycle. The tar and chip (chipseal) seals the cracks in the surface to prevent that. They aren't trying to make a smooth road from this, hence just coating over any imperfections in the road surface without fixing.

It is cheaper than a sealer coating of asphalt every year or few years.

The alternative, which is probably more labor intensive with the amount of damage we get in winter, thus costs more, is to seal all cracks with tar like you see in southern states. Then you have the problem of slimy tar snakes to ride over.

This crack develops during winter, and another winter it will be completely broken up. 250,000 miles of roads in PA that look like this, it is simpler and cheaper every few years to chipseal the entire roadway than it is to have people sealing each individual crack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When done properly, and when the set speed limit is observed there are very few flying rocks. The reason for the flying rocks is because no one wants to follow the guidelines for driving or riding on such a surface. I do chip seal and when done properly there will be very few loose rocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts