Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday I finally got the FP True Duals installed. The Cobra Power Pro went on last weekend. Man, maybe it was just me, or there is something I'm missing, but installing the Heat Shields was a total PITA! Talk about fussy and time consuming! All worth it now though. Due to the continuing crappy weather, I fired it up in the garage. It was like thunder in that enclosed space. Went In the house after and couldn't find the cats for an hour, lol.
The Corbin seat shipped yesterday. When it arrives in Niagara Falls I'll be on my way to pick it up along with the Avon grips (Ray's throttle mod) and the Clearivew shield. By the time I get those installed, surely we will have some riding weather here! Lots of rain today to wash away salt and grunge.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did you have to replace the muffler connection gaskets or were they alright. Some say they get melted on the factory pipe and are not reusable. I am getting ready to put on my V&H slip ons and not sure if I should pick up some gaskets or not.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you have to replace the muffler connection gaskets or were they alright. Some say they get melted on the factory pipe and are not reusable. I am getting ready to put on my V&H slip ons and not sure if I should pick up some gaskets or not.
I installed new crush gaskets with the new exhaust headers. There was no sign of any gaskets in place when I removed the stock exhaust.

If you are installing slip ons and are not removing the stock headers, you won't need gaskets.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I installed new crush gaskets with the new exhaust headers. There was no sign of any gaskets in place when I removed the stock exhaust.

If you are installing slip ons and are not removing the stock headers, you won't need gaskets.
He's talking about that silver, tacky substance around the stock head pipe where the stock mufflers go over to give them a seal. If you remove stock mufflers and touch it, your hand turns silver and feels greasy.

Smart move to install the crush gaskets. Many people reuse the stock ones even though they look acceptable in many cases. I ordered new ones from Kawasaki over the winter when I put on headers and full exhaust.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's talking about that silver, tacky substance around the stock head pipe where the stock mufflers go over to give them a seal. If you remove stock mufflers and touch it, your hand turns silver and feels greasy.

Smart move to install the crush gaskets. Many people reuse the stock ones even though they look acceptable in many cases. I ordered new ones from Kawasaki over the winter when I put on headers and full exhaust.
I'm starting to wonder who installed the stock exhaust on my Vaq. I found no such substance on the stock head pipe when disassembling, and there were no head gaskets on the stock exhaust.
I'm wondering if the substance referred to is actually anti-seize?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Well, yesterday I finally got the FP True Duals installed. The Cobra Power Pro went on last weekend. Man, maybe it was just me, or there is something I'm missing, but installing the Heat Shields was a total PITA! Talk about fussy and time consuming! All worth it now though. Due to the continuing crappy weather, I fired it up in the garage. It was like thunder in that enclosed space. Went In the house after and couldn't find the cats for an hour, lol.
The Corbin seat shipped yesterday. When it arrives in Niagara Falls I'll be on my way to pick it up along with the Avon grips (Ray's throttle mod) and the Clearivew shield. By the time I get those installed, surely we will have some riding weather here! Lots of rain today to wash away salt and grunge.
I had the same problem with the heat shields Brian. The clamps are a real PITA. I actually left 1 of them off. No rattles or problems so all is good. My long thread about My pipes has a comment about them damn clamps. I am sure there is a better way to design the clamps for Everyone to be able to install these a little easier. Now all You need to do is wait for all the compliments on the sound of Your bike.
Shep

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm starting to wonder who installed the stock exhaust on my Vaq. I found no such substance on the stock head pipe when disassembling, and there were no head gaskets on the stock exhaust.
I'm wondering if the substance referred to is actually anti-seize?
Maybe then on the Vaq they don't use it like the Classic's have. The Classic's come with large mufflers and stock head pipe where it meets mufflers (where mufflers slide onto) have this gray, greasy to touch, gasket that gets your hands all nasty if you handle it on the gasket area. I guess the Vaq muffler is similar to how aftermarket exhausts slide on and don't require that gray gasket like the Classic's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem with the heat shields Brian. The clamps are a real PITA. I actually left 1 of them off. No rattles or problems so all is good. My long thread about My pipes has a comment about them damn clamps. I am sure there is a better way to design the clamps for Everyone to be able to install these a little easier. Now all You need to do is wait for all the compliments on the sound of Your bike.
Shep
I'll bet I know exactly which clamp you left off too! Glad it wasn't just me. It took me as long to mount the heat shields as it did to remove the stock exhaust and install the new FP. I barked the skin off every single knuckle too. My wife said it looked like I lost a fight.
However, the sound is truly awesome, and I'll soon get over the trauma, lol.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got out for the first ride of the year today. 10 degrees Celsius felt awesome after all the cold Have to say the new exhaust really does sound awesome! Much more like a big v-twin now and I love it! Fair bit of popping on decel at first, but that diminished the more I rode. I'm sure it will be better when I get some fresh gas running thru it later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts