Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Ive tried twice to contact get non working number and the website does not list duals for any Kawasaki let alone the 1700 nomad mines an 09 I heard the other years will fit! whats up did they stop production or problems in ?????

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here's a link just to give you the idea that the same FP true duel Exhaust will fit the nomad, Vaquero and the Voyager. And you'll notice it says 2010 and up but there is a member "shepsvoyager" that installed the MK00008 exhaust on his 09 Voyager so I'm almost positive they'll fit your 09 Nomad. If you have a local Kawi dealer go in and ask them about them for your bike. I ordered mine thru my local dealer for my Vaquero and they were right in the ballpark when it came to price and they had em within 3-4 days. I hope this helped!

http://www.westendmotorsports.com/nomad-1700voyager-exhaust-freedom-performance-c-1733_1736_3458_6386.html

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
When Shep got his for the Voyager, they only listed them for the Vaquero, but they are all the same. Sound is personal, but I think his sounds pretty damn good. Should all be the same from 09 to I believe the 2015s, Nomads, Vaqueros, and Voyagers.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Unless your friends are already deaf, don't surprised if they ask you to ride tail, or leave a lot of distance behind you. An acquaintance of mine has FL exhaust on his Harley. Way to many decibels to ride staggered behind him. Get in front and barely hear him.
I can't sneak off on my Voyager with the stock exhaust after 50,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here's a link just to give you the idea that the same FP true duel Exhaust will fit the nomad, Vaquero and the Voyager. And you'll notice it says 2010 and up but there is a member "shepsvoyager" that installed the MK00008 exhaust on his 09 Voyager so I'm almost positive they'll fit your 09 Nomad. If you have a local Kawi dealer go in and ask them about them for your bike. I ordered mine thru my local dealer for my Vaquero and they were right in the ballpark when it came to price and they had em within 3-4 days. I hope this helped!

http://www.westendmotorsports.com/nomad-1700voyager-exhaust-freedom-performance-c-1733_1736_3458_6386.html
Out of curiosity, did you get the standard "Power Thrust" or optional "Quiet" baffles. Also, is there any need/benefit to remap the fuel injection? Back when I had my Concours, I was able to install a slip-on with little less restriction, that just used up the extra richness usually programmed in the stock profiles. It picked me up an extra 6 Horsepower without the cost of a reflash. I wouldn't expect that much gain with the 1700, but an extra 2 or 3 HP would be nice.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you get the standard "Power Thrust" or optional "Quiet" baffles. Also, is there any need/benefit to remap the fuel injection? Back when I had my Concours, I was able to install a slip-on with little less restriction, that just used up the extra richness usually programmed in the stock profiles. It picked me up an extra 6 Horsepower without the cost of a reflash. I wouldn't expect that much gain with the 1700, but an extra 2 or 3 HP would be nice.
I had the standard baffles that came installed. When I ordered the FPE the bike already had a PCV, tornado breather and D&D slip-ons. The big power gain was already added with the breather/PCV and all the FPE did for me was make the bike sound awesome. IMO...Installing and mapping my PCV made difference and you could feel a little more HP and the more I ran it the better the MPG I got, upper 40mpg and sometimes I hit 50+ mpg. I'm a big believer in the PCV!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got mine from westendmotorsports.com and will be putting them on this weekend. Next month I will get the thunder intake and pcv. With just the exhaust I don't need the pcv but after adding the intake I will need to.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I always read that bikes were lean from the factory to meet emissions. Opening up the flow without adding fuel will make the bike run leaner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lean or Rich

I always read that bikes were lean from the factory to meet emissions. Opening up the flow without adding fuel will make the bike run leaner.
Thanks for the info. I was going by what I found out on my Concours. My information came from a combination of sources, but was specific to that bike. I did pull a spark plug before and after installing the slip-on to check the color. I did not want to run lean and burn it up.

I am curious about the "meeting emissions". Are there any states that require periodic emissions testing on motorcycles? If so, what happens if you change your exhaust, remove the catalytic converter, and remap your fuel injection? Are there even any federal standards?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Moe,
As Rod(diehard) and Rick both state above. The MK00008 pipes are what I bought an installed. Perfect fit. I believe I am the first member and maybe the first in the country to put these on the voyager. Attached a little video so You can hear them.
Shep.
http://youtu.be/CWBoY0L-NxE

·
Registered
215 Posts
Unless your friends are already deaf, don't surprised if they ask you to ride tail, or leave a lot of distance behind you. An acquaintance of mine has FL exhaust on his Harley. Way to many decibels to ride staggered behind him. Get in front and barely hear him.
I can't sneak off on my Voyager with the stock exhaust after 50,000 miles on it.
I've got Freedom duals on my Vaquero. They're loud when the bike is cold, but once it warms up they're a very reasonably deep rumble. At cruising speed in 5th or 6th gear they're VERY reasonable. Doesn't drown out the stereo at all.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I've got Freedom duals on my Vaquero. They're loud when the bike is cold, but once it warms up they're a very reasonably deep rumble. At cruising speed in 5th or 6th gear they're VERY reasonable. Doesn't drown out the stereo at all.
That's because the pipes are behind you. How does the guy riding off your rear quarter think they sound? How about when you are going under an overpass? I have no problem with loud pipes that sound better than a pickup with rusted out exhaust.

·
Registered
851 Posts
That's because the pipes are behind you. How does the guy riding off your rear quarter think they sound? How about when you are going under an overpass? I have no problem with loud pipes that sound better than a pickup with rusted out exhaust.
I've rode with Mike "shepsvoyager" and I've rode behind him. The FPE has a nice deep mellow tone at 60-65mph...you can hardly hear them! Now as far as the overpass I loved to crack my throttle when I go under them, it's the only time I really get to hear them. lol! IMO...My Cobra long shots I had on my 900 was louder and annoying to the people behind me because of the higher pitch they had. The FPE isn't that loud, everyone thats rode behind be said they sounded nice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the FP True Duals on my Vaquero and ride in groups all the time. The only comments I have had from the riders behind me are about how GREAT the exhaust sounds. I personally think the sound from this exhaust is awesome!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'll stick my gopro on my wife's bike and have her follow me one of these days to get a good follow clip. Maybe leave the GoPro sitting under an over pass, mount it down by the pipes. Hell I'll take requests lol

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Have Your Wife follow You Tomorrow so We can hear it. LOL Just dress Her up warm. Probably only be a little below 0 there Tomorrow.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Those pipes sound sweet. Considered them but the 800.00 price tag is what turned me off. I got my V&H slip ons and fuel processor for less than that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts