Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FREAKIN TEXAS -- I got my Vaquero in November, love it and have done a lot of mods on it (just customized a seat that is getting covered now) well it has always seemed hot but with Houston area running 100+ with a heat index of 116, the Green Hornet will freakin burn u up!!

I know i need to put a manual switch on it for the fan (got to find that thread)
But is there any other way of cooling her down ????

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you had your ECU flashed by Ivan? My Vaquero runs way cooler after being Ivanized. I would not be able to stand riding in those Temps no matter how cool my bike was running.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
116 heat index? repent now cause Hell is 116 also

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
randog - no i havent yet on the flash yet, i would like to for the performance also --- but it seems like the heat just rises in your face, i know on some of the HD Road Glides with fixed fairings they have some add on wings to move the air around, not sure if they make anything like that for the Vaquero

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
btom - i know, i have one of the AcuRite weather stations and that picture i posted is at 5:13 PM

·
Registered
38 Posts
randog - no i havent yet on the flash yet, i would like to for the performance also --- but it seems like the heat just rises in your face, i know on some of the HD Road Glides with fixed fairings they have some add on wings to move the air around, not sure if they make anything like that for the Vaquero
There is a pretty big difference in the amount of heat after you get the ECU flashed. There have been some days I've ridden lately here in SoCal that have been in the upper 90's and it wasn't to bad. Although the humidity here is no where like it is in Houston!

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I lived 8 years in Michigan and before that in Idaho. I'll take the heat. You know I hear you guys talk about havon the ECU flashed. Can that be done on a 900? Can't remember reading here anyone doing that on one.

·
Registered
279 Posts
UGH, hearing of that kind of heat makes me feel just fine about riding in Wisconsin. I bet up here I get just as many if not more riding days than you do down there. I ride in Wisconsin from April 1st to December 1st, at the very least, and sometimes more.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
That's what I figured. I ride in the heat down here. When you hit about 85mph the sweat just rolls off ya.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Might try rapping the exhaust some have reported that helps. In traffic my Vaquero was brutal, when that fan kicked on only made it worse. When moving at 40+ seemed to be much better but putting around in traffic at 30 mph or below sucked. Feel your pain here in Texas

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Agree with the Texas heat. Not as bad as Houston area up here in East Texas with all the trees but it's pretty dang hot. I can ride 30 miles round trip into town and be soaked with sweat. And that's with jeans and a t-shirt. Hope that fall weather gets here soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree with the Texas heat. Not as bad as Houston area up here in East Texas with all the trees but it's pretty dang hot. I can ride 30 miles round trip into town and be soaked with sweat. And that's with jeans and a t-shirt. Hope that fall weather gets here soon.
It was a sweltering , 80 degrees here in SoCal today. Ride after work was so pleasant. We are so lucky to have such good weather! Ride 365.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
FREAKIN TEXAS -- I got my Vaquero in November, love it and have done a lot of mods on it (just customized a seat that is getting covered now) well it has always seemed hot but with Houston area running 100+ with a heat index of 116, the Green Hornet will freakin burn u up!!

I know i need to put a manual switch on it for the fan (got to find that thread)
But is there any other way of cooling her down ????
Like others have said, Ivan's ECU flash or any fuel mgmt system that allows you to add gas would help. As someone mention, wrapping the pipes should help, but I don't have any experience with that.

Adding Engine Ice (or better yet, Purple Ice: it has additives that make it work even better than Engine Ice) to the coolant will improve the cooling efficiency of the radiator, making the engine run cooler.

Adding a bean bag protector (keeps the heat off the family jewels) helps. It's basically a piece of leather that goes under the seat:

Plain Thigh Heat Shield Deflectors Indian Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha Honda Victory | eBay

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
It was a sweltering , 80 degrees here in SoCal today. Ride after work was so pleasant. We are so lucky to have such good weather! Ride 365.

Must be nice. We lived in Sacramento for 4 years a long time ago and it actually got hotter there than here in Texas. Humidity wasn't as bad but still very hot. That was where I owned my first bike, Honda 305 Scrambler. Rode up near Lake Tahoe a couple of times. Awesome riding.

·
Registered
323 Posts
All this talk about heat makes me sweat. I'm orignally from upstate New York, but have lived in Central Texas for 41 years (dang I'm getting old!) I gotta say that I'll take this Texas heat over the bitter cold winter months up north. I don't let the heat stop me from riding. and once you get past the 2 1/2 months of summer, the weather of the remaining 9 1/2 months is fantastic. I can still remember the uncontrollable shivers simply standing in that winter cold. At least here you have the option of riding in the heat. When there's snow and ice on the ground with temps to match, you don't really have that option.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Agreed, you southerners know nothing.
Try getting your car started in -30°F temps and not freezing your nose or ears off when the windchill is -50°F!

I'll take 100°F and humid ANY day over those cold temps. You dont know you got it so good to ride year round.

And for the record last week we had heat indexed temps over 105°F. So we get hot and humid here as well.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Like others have said, Ivan's ECU flash or any fuel mgmt system that allows you to add gas would help. As someone mention, wrapping the pipes should help, but I don't have any experience with that.

Adding Engine Ice (or better yet, Purple Ice: it has additives that make it work even better than Engine Ice) to the coolant will improve the cooling efficiency of the radiator, making the engine run cooler.

Adding a bean bag protector (keeps the heat off the family jewels) helps. It's basically a piece of leather that goes under the seat:

Plain Thigh Heat Shield Deflectors Indian Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha Honda Victory | eBay
I switched to Engine Ice and it made no difference at all. Had the Ivans flash too. Slightly cooler at highway speeds but in hot weather in traffic, no difference. BTW, Ivans flash isn't perfect. Yes, it does unleash more power and torque, but, at low speed shifting to 2d then rolling the throttle on I get a little hiccup. Happens in 3rd too. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it. I can't help wonder why someone sitting on top of a 1700 cc engine in hot weather and slow traffic would not expect it to be HOT. Baffling.:confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I switched to Engine Ice and it made no difference at all. Had the Ivans flash too. Slightly cooler at highway speeds but in hot weather in traffic, no difference. BTW, Ivans flash isn't perfect. Yes, it does unleash more power and torque, but, at low speed shifting to 2d then rolling the throttle on I get a little hiccup. Happens in 3rd too. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it. I can't help wonder why someone sitting on top of a 1700 cc engine in hot weather and slow traffic would not expect it to be HOT. Baffling.:confused:
I have a Suzuki M109R with a 1800 engine I get practically no heat at all compared to my Vaquero.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts