Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and found little??

here's my needs will someone please help??

I want to stretch a frame at least 6 to 8 inches, I need that because I'm a giant!! 6'6.. the bike was given to me. and I'd like to make it into something not seen!!

this is what I almost want..
never mind that!! I found a site with some pics and can't seem to copy them to post!!

thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi & welcome to the board. I am guessing that you want to divide the stretch, like maybe 4'' in front & 4'' in the rear or are you just wanting to stretch the front or the rear?
1st) Do you have the time, abilities and maybe $$ to do this.
2nd) are you or someone you know a capable welder?
3rd) do you have a machine shop near by?
It's the drive shaft that is going to be a few $$ & a bit of work if you can't find one from some other made that is (X)'' longer. There is a Virago(shaft drive also) up here in B.C. that has been stretched in the rear. I didn't get to talk to the guy , but a buddy of mine was thinking of doing it to his Virago, but the $$ got in his way when work died down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply frisco..
I know nothing of welding!! but I do know people who do good work!!
I've thought about cutting the frame just before the swing arm. then inserting rods to ad strength drilling through them and welding in pins...

there's a place near by that makes drive shafts for cars?? so they should be able to make one for a bike!! then the few cosmetic aditions and I'm done!!
no chrome though!! I had a bike years ago the I chromed..
spent way too much time polishing the chrome before and after a ride!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
yeah your on the right track with cutting the frame behind the engine and putting snug fitting slugs in, but I'm sure your welder friends will know what to do. I believe the actual drive shaft is solid inside the outer housing, lengthening the outer housing will be no problem. It's the actual drive shaft that can be the problem. If your lucky you may get away with having the have the u joints adapted to a new piece of steel stock, unless the original shaft is splined at each end then it maybe easier to have a new piece splice in the old shaft, a matter of marking a line down the length of the shaft to keep 2 pieces it the original plane(alignment) & then cutting the old shaft and then on a lathe bore a hole "X" amount deep at each cut and then machining a pin equal to the bore depth at each end of the new section, then having the pieces pressed together in their original plane again and then the pressed together joints welded by someone who is a capable welder and then finally having the shaft checked for straightness & rebalanced. other than that it's a piece of cake....oh, and $$$ for the machine shop work. I agree with you on the chrome, as the saying goes , Chrome won't get you home, but you'll look good pushing it"
Looking forward on the development of your bike keep us posted.

·
Banned
21 Posts
thanks for the reply frisco..
I know nothing of welding!! but I do know people who do good work!!
I've thought about cutting the frame just before the swing arm. then inserting rods to ad strength drilling through them and welding in pins...

there's a place near by that makes drive shafts for cars?? so they should be able to make one for a bike!! then the few cosmetic aditions and I'm done!!
no chrome though!! I had a bike years ago the I chromed..
spent way too much time polishing the chrome before and after a ride!!
get a second swing arm and drive shaft... cut the original swing arm at a 45 degree angle, then cut the other swing arm into a section the length of the stretch. for the drive shaft, you want to cut it so it has a notch. then cut the other one with the same notches into the length of the stretch... for more info on chopping go to www.chopcult.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts