Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
657 miles on the new Vaq and I go out to the garage to fire it up for a ride. I hit the starter button and let go just a hair too soon for it to start so I hit it again. She starts but acts like she's completely flooded. I get her going and try to burn off the excess fuel which works to an extent, but now the power isn't quite there like before. I'm also getting the old sulfur smell of unburnt fuel. Def running on both cyls now but with less power. My question is, can ya foul a plug that easy or have a semi-fouled plug? Or maybe it's a timing issue? Going to the dealer next wk but I'm curious now.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
No, you wouldn't foul a plug like that. Especially if it's stock. Is it? Have you ever taken out a plug on that bike? That would be one thing I would do, is to check out both plugs. But first I would suggest disconnect the negative wire from the battery for 30 seconds so the ecu will reset. That's easy to do and could fix your problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
completely stock. Never touched the engine. It's only got 650 miles or so. Can't figure it out, just seems to have lost 1/2 a cyl. I'll try the battery reset idea but it def feels as if it's running rich. Not sure how that could be. The sulphur smell has me a little worried. It's acting kind of like a car with a clogged cat. A little doggy and smells funny.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
completely stock. Never touched the engine. It's only got 650 miles or so. Can't figure it out, just seems to have lost 1/2 a cyl. I'll try the battery reset idea but it def feels as if it's running rich. Not sure how that could be. The sulphur smell has me a little worried. It's acting kind of like a car with a clogged cat. A little doggy and smells funny.
Well I hear ya. But if the ecu is mixed up with it's signals reseting it will force it to seset to factory specs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think an engine light should be coming on right now but maybe its not severe enough yet. If I hadn't ridden it before I would prob just think it was a slow heavy bike. It was popping, skipping and stalling really badly at first. Then after about 3 mins of running it I got it to run and idle, albeit with a slight power loss. Tomorrow I'll try the battery deal and take it back out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would think an engine light should be coming on right now but maybe its not severe enough yet. If I hadn't ridden it before I would prob just think it was a slow heavy bike. It was popping, skipping and stalling really badly at first. Then after about 3 mins of running it I got it to run and idle, albeit with a slight power loss. Tomorrow I'll try the battery deal and take it back out.
the ecu on these bikes cannot determine if its running rich or lean, i mean it wont set off a error code for that. my bike has that smell to. but i have tri ovals and fi 2000. when you take it in the dealer, tell them to check for air intake leaks. mine has one and its at the dealer right now. i found it by spraying break cleaner on the intake manifold connections.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did your bike feel like it was down on power just a little?
It almost sounds like you have a clogged breather or something, it's hard to imagine this all happened at once.
No, it really didn't seem to loose any power like your describing. Mine was backfiring and the idle would take forever to come down to 950 rpms. Then sometimes I'd be setting at a light and my idle would shoot up to 1500 rpms 4 no reason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts