Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys/Gals

Being new in the cruiser scene and just coming out of the rocket world, I am constantly scraping my floor boards in corners. The bike wants to lean, but the boards keep it from doing so. I constantly fear that the boards are going to catch a groove in the pavement, or a bump in the road and send me sailing through the air like a meat missile.

I have seen threads around referencing Jardine Forward Controls, but I can't seem to locate them for sale anywhere. I assume they are long out of production. Plus, even in older threads I've seen some say they were over $1k :surprise:

So, my question... Has anyone attempted to retro fit any other model forwards to their 2000?

BTW - the bike is an 04 VN2000A

·
BOTM Winner, November 2016
149 Posts
Hey Guys/Gals

Being new in the cruiser scene and just coming out of the rocket world, I am constantly scraping my floor boards in corners. The bike wants to lean, but the boards keep it from doing so. I constantly fear that the boards are going to catch a groove in the pavement, or a bump in the road and send me sailing through the air like a meat missile.

I have seen threads around referencing Jardine Forward Controls, but I can't seem to locate them for sale anywhere. I assume they are long out of production. Plus, even in older threads I've seen some say they were over $1k :surprise:

So, my question... Has anyone attempted to retro fit any other model forwards to their 2000?

BTW - the bike is an 04 VN2000A
I love mine !!!!!!! Yea it is sad there is not much out there about them. I purchased mine from a member here and have not looked back. Im 6'1 so they fit me well. I have spoken to others who felt they were placed to far forward for their liking. I will tell you this much the actual controls look similar if not the same. It appears to be the actual "mounting bracket" that is different from bike to bike IMO !! I have another set that I was told came from a 1500 so I will look and see what difference there may be.

·
Registered
860 Posts
One more option to consider.

On my previous bike (vulcan 1600) I did modify the floorboards for the same reason, all I did was weld additional mounting point under the floorboards (in the mounting bracket actually) as to push them forward about 2" and higher in the rear end about 3/4" and Higher at the front end about 1.5", it also put the front end outward about 1". This resulted on a larger clearance from the road and a very comfortable angle for long rides (both vertical and horizontal angle), eliminated any thoughts of forward controls. It also added a bit of leg room to stretch but not so much that it would make it awkward to stand on the boards if I needed to.

Another advantage I was aiming for was getting the boards a bit away from the shifter and the rear brake pedal (thus the outward adjustment), my big feet were getting under the brake pedal and the motion to apply the brake was not really natural, after the mod, from board to brake was a really easy and natural side motion, same with the shifter.

It ended up being so comfy that I plan to do the same to the V2K, as soon as work lets up.

Also, the weight of the beast is enough to consider that having yur feet way in front of you in forward controls might create a hazzard.

When I do the mod I will post pics and comments on results.

·
149 Posts
One more option to consider.

On my previous bike (vulcan 1600) I did modify the floorboards for the same reason, all I did was weld additional mounting point under the floorboards (in the mounting bracket actually) as to push them forward about 2" and higher in the rear end about 3/4" and Higher at the front end about 1.5", it also put the front end outward about 1". This resulted on a larger clearance from the road and a very comfortable angle for long rides (both vertical and horizontal angle), eliminated any thoughts of forward controls. It also added a bit of leg room to stretch but not so much that it would make it awkward to stand on the boards if I needed to.

Another advantage I was aiming for was getting the boards a bit away from the shifter and the rear brake pedal (thus the outward adjustment), my big feet were getting under the brake pedal and the motion to apply the brake was not really natural, after the mod, from board to brake was a really easy and natural side motion, same with the shifter.

It ended up being so comfy that I plan to do the same to the V2K, as soon as work lets up.

Also, the weight of the beast is enough to consider that having yur feet way in front of you in forward controls might create a hazzard.

When I do the mod I will post pics and comments on results.
I would like to see the pics when you are done. I might would have done the same if I would have thought of it. Keep me up to date on the progress.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would like to see the pics when you are done. I might would have done the same if I would have thought of it. Keep me up to date on the progress.

Hi man, i am new to the forum, just read the thread, and happy to tell you the forward controls are awesome in looks and drive, but keep note that in long rides its uncomfy and you will miss good old boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
149 Posts
Hi man, i am new to the forum, just read the thread, and happy to tell you the forward controls are awesome in looks and drive, but keep note that in long rides its uncomfy and you will miss good old boards

Yep I agree. Thats why I installed the mini floor boards. I usually lay my feet on top of the pegs but after a long ride I have to bend them every now and then. LOL Thats where the mini boards come in !!! Great looking bike !!!

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,916 Posts
Is it possible that other controls can fit the v2k? Or should I just buy some and then get brackets to fit? Thanks for the reply
As far as I know, there is nobody making any forward controls for the V2K. Will controls for other vulcans fit? Maybe. But I doubt it.

I took a different route, I added extensions directly to the floorboards.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also, the bike in the pic is stunning. Where can you get that front and rear fender?

Hi bro, sorry just saw the post, the fenders are all custom made, and that's the beauty!, just design the fenders you like and send them to workshop for casting and finishing. You can find a lot of design ideas over the net, please let me know if you need further help... cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts