Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my fork seal on the right side of my bike has been leaking and recently has gotten quite a bit worse... as in, there is fork oil all over my air intake and its getting everywhere. I know it is not "safe" or "smart" to ride on, and I want to fix it. How difficult is this job to do yourself? I'm not afraid to dive into it, just looking for opinions, tips, etc. $275 just seems expensive to take to the dealer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey guys, my fork seal on the right side of my bike has been leaking and recently has gotten quite a bit worse... as in, there is fork oil all over my air intake and its getting everywhere. I know it is not "safe" or "smart" to ride on, and I want to fix it. How difficult is this job to do yourself? I'm not afraid to dive into it, just looking for opinions, tips, etc. $275 just seems expensive to take to the dealer.
Rather a complex procedure, from what I've seen:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mine were replaced by the dealer. Took a couple of hours. They did both under warranty. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It might not be the case, but there is a trick I learned before jumping into replacing the seals. Often dirt and road grime can find a way into the seal and to clear it out just take a playing card and run it between the inner fork tube and the seal. Obviously not a cure all, but has saved me headaches numerous times.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info guys, As an update... I'm going to just make an appointment and drop it off at the dealer in Lexington, Ky. They priced the job at around $215 to do both front forks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thank you for the info guys, As an update... I'm going to just make an appointment and drop it off at the dealer in Lexington, Ky. They priced the job at around $215 to do both front forks.
I've never done it myself, but that sounds like a reasonable price. It would take me quite a long time just to get the forks off and in a position where I could do the work. I don't like being off the road for that long....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Glad you opted to get them done. I've had a bike where I replaced the seals twice, and they still leaked*. Its worth $200 to give to a dealer so you can let them deal with any weird issues.

*said bike had been wrecked into the side of a car before I bought it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those of you that had them replaced... did you use OEM replacement factory seals, or "Leakproof" Pro-Moly seals?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts