Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to change the fork oil on my 1998 Classic and figured I would check the seals while I was at it. No issues getting the forks off and disassembled, but I am stuck getting the outer bushing back into the outer fork before putting the seal on. Some videos I have found show just pushing the bushing back in, but mine is tight and needs to be driven. Do I drive that in first then goes the washer then drive the seal? Also, what is the best way to drive both back in? I have never done this before and do not want to destroy anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
In terms of what order to do it, follow the manual. Your bike might be different from mine.

As for getting them in, I used a piece of PVC pipe. You have to be careful to get the right diameter for it to fit into the lower fork but also drive the seal correctly. My 500 was sort of between sizes, so I ended up having to shave it down with a draw knife before it would fit--the outer diameter was slightly too wide. You might be able to search around and find someone who has done the same thing with your bike model.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Use the old bushing to drive the new bushing in. I've never done the forks on my 1500 but on any other bike that I've done, there's a larger 'washer' that goes underneath the seal that has an ID only slight larger than the inner fork. That washer. along with the old bushing, can be used to drive the new bushing into place.

I'm curious - how many miles do you have on the bike. Was there copper showing through on the sliding surface of the bushings (assuming the bushings are teflon coated copper - or some alloy with a copper coating?)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use the old bushing to drive the new bushing in. I've never done the forks on my 1500 but on any other bike that I've done, there's a larger 'washer' that goes underneath the seal that has an ID only slight larger than the inner fork. That washer. along with the old bushing, can be used to drive the new bushing into place.

I'm curious - how many miles do you have on the bike. Was there copper showing through on the sliding surface of the bushings (assuming the bushings are teflon coated copper - or some alloy with a copper coating?)?
It's a 1998 with only 6K miles on it. Since it was sitting so long i figured it would be good to take everything apart and clean it while changing the oil. The bearing is practically brand new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts