Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can someone tell me how the fork covers come off. Had quick look and can't see how they're held on.
HD were simple two bolts, confused, very confused :confused:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Please can someone tell me how the fork covers come off. Had quick look and can't see how they're held on.
HD were simple two bolts, confused, very confused :confused:
You gotta pull the forks and slip them off the top.

Here is a link to the front suspension diagram.
http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/o...48f/front-fork

You'll notice that the cover slips over the upper fork and rests between the spacer PN: 92026A and the lower triple tree.
It's a pain.

Scott

repost link:http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b709bf8700223e479848f/front-fork

·
Registered
573 Posts
DANG! one of mine is bent and scratched the inner fairing...was thinking of finding some Performance Machine covers to replace it with, but i'm sure they are the wrong size

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
DANG! one of mine is bent and scratched the inner fairing...was thinking of finding some Performance Machine covers to replace it with, but i'm sure they are the wrong size
I just checked the price!:eek:

$183 for a set. Ouch!

Scott

·
Registered
125 Posts
Blistering paint on upper fork tube covers

I was cleaning my bike the other day and it looked like i had a bunch of splatters of stuff (assumed dead bug guts) on the upper fork tube covers. I scrubbed the hell out of them and i couldn't get it off. Looked closer and it almost looks like the paint is blistering like from rust from under the paint. I bought the bike new 2 and half years ago only have about 21k on it. I try not to ride in the rain unless caught in it. Anyone else get this and could it be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was cleaning my bike the other day and it looked like i had a bunch of splatters of stuff (assumed dead bug guts) on the upper fork tube covers. I scrubbed the hell out of them and i couldn't get it off. Looked closer and it almost looks like the paint is blistering like from rust from under the paint. I bought the bike new 2 and half years ago only have about 21k on it. I try not to ride in the rain unless caught in it. Anyone else get this and could it be covered under warranty?
I think that timescale would be too long for a warranty claim. The covers are there to stop the stanchions getting pitted by stone chips etc, so in a way you have to expect them to get a bit marked up. I'd rather re-paint them than have to get my fork kegs re-chromed.
In the UK the warranty doesn't cover corrosion, due to the salted roads in the winter. My dealer went to great lengths to make sure I understood this when I bought the extended warranty.
I am a great fan of FS365 spray, and I use tons of it all over the bike. It can dull down the chrome slightly, (temporary, only while it's on there), but makes cleaning so much easier next time you wash the bike down, and all my fasteners, wheel spacers etc still look like brand new.
I could compare the Kawasaki finish to that of HD, but I don't want to keep bashing Harley, as my old bike had some good points......... I think.

·
Registered
701 Posts
BigA80 the tubes should be covered under the original warranty. If you bought your vaquero new it came with a 3year warranty. Get it to the dealer pronto so they can start the process. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
BigA80... are your fork covers painted? I thought they were all chrome plated steel. Road debris can cause breaks in the chrome and then rusty corrosion starts. Bubbling of the chrome is common when that happens.

But I would try the warranty route first. But a good chrome polish will slow down the rust corrosion and help clean it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bubba, its a Vaquero I believe there all painted like a dark metallic grey color. Chrome would probably hold up better at least better than two years I would hope. Hopefully the dealer doesn't bock on this it is still under warranty.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Bubba, its a Vaquero I believe there all painted like a dark metallic grey color. Chrome would probably hold up better at least better than two years I would hope. Hopefully the dealer doesn't bock on this it is still under warranty.
Hopefully they won't give you any crap about the warranty. If they do, it's really not a hard fix. The forks come off very easy. My covers got scratched from some wire I ran over, so I had them powder coated along with a bunch of other things when I had the bike painted. The inside of the covers were rusty as a Harley at the bottom of the ocean!! I made sure to advise the powder coater to blast the inside of the covers thoroughly before spraying. If I were doing it now, I would just de-rust them with steel wool or naval jelly, then spray them with Plasti-dip. I dipped my mirrors several months ago and they are still looking great.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Hmmmm I have looked at a few Vaqueros and never notices....

Never hurts to ask for warranty replacement.... like for the decals on the Voyager.... someone has to be the first to find out....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts