Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the weather has been SOO wonderful this week (sarcasm in voice). I decided to send the bike to the local shop for sum upgrades. Currently finishing up my degree so i have absolutely no time to do any of the work myself and feel it is worth paying for labor then having a garage bench full of unused parts. I am having them put on my side ver license plate, integrated tail light, rear 2"barron lowering kit, and the 1 1/2" barron front lowering kit.

Now i received a call from the shop saying that the Fork caps were rusted on so bad they could not get them off to put the new springs in. I told them to hold off for now and ill get that done when the seals go. My questions is, is there anything i could do/should do to help break the rust up over some time? All suggestions are welcomed.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Since the weather has been SOO wonderful this week (sarcasm in voice). I decided to send the bike to the local shop for sum upgrades. Currently finishing up my degree so i have absolutely no time to do any of the work myself and feel it is worth paying for labor then having a garage bench full of unused parts. I am having them put on my side ver license plate, integrated tail light, rear 2"barron lowering kit, and the 1 1/2" barron front lowering kit.

Now i received a call from the shop saying that the Fork caps were rusted on so bad they could not get them off to put the new springs in. I told them to hold off for now and ill get that done when the seals go. My questions is, is there anything i could do/should do to help break the rust up over some time? All suggestions are welcomed.
Penatrating oil should do it. Take the chrome caps off and place a few drops around the edge of the discs and replace the chrome caps. Your shop could have easily loosened the steel caps by using a socket extension and a few raps with a hammer. You should probably source two new O rings when you do change out your springs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This thread is probably dead by now, but I've got the same issue. A deadblow and socket actually didn't handle it at all. I tried marvel mystery oil sitting on top of the caps overnight, and nothing moved.

Just wondering if JahnM ever got this little issue solved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This thread is probably dead by now, but I've got the same issue. A deadblow and socket actually didn't handle it at all. I tried marvel mystery oil sitting on top of the caps overnight, and nothing moved.

Just wondering if JahnM ever got this little issue solved.
I just redid both my forks a couple weeks ago. Mine were rusted on the caps. I put some oil in them, let it sit. Then put the fork in a vice, gave it a couple wacks with the deadblow. Used a C-clamp to push the cap down to remove the retaining clip. Worked great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts