Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

as we are a select group subject to the limitations in variety of OEM or aftermarkets accessories and customization options for our scoots due to the blacked out nature of them, I'd like to open up the floor to what ingenious ways you all have worked around the sea of chrome options to find some good black accessories or have taken chromed pieces and had them powdercoated or painted. If you put time and effort into researching if parts from a different model bike would fit our, let us know. Ya gotta admit...it's kinda sad that there's so little available already in black to spice up our rides.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree, even with my old bike I hated chrome and found it hard to find accessories for.
For the SE I would love to find a black or titanium coloured luggage rack that doesn't require a back rest to attach to.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My 800 Classic came with what must have been a cheap chrome engine guard and it badly rusted very soon, so while he had it my son painted it a flat balck. He did a fair to poor job of it, but even at that it looks pretty good.

I'm going to strip it down to bare metal, put a good coat of primer and several coats of black. This chould really look better and it will not chip off as easily.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi all,

as we are a select group subject to the limitations in variety of OEM or aftermarkets accessories and customization options for our scoots due to the blacked out nature of them, I'd like to open up the floor to what ingenious ways you all have worked around the sea of chrome options to find some good black accessories or have taken chromed pieces and had them powdercoated or painted. If you put time and effort into researching if parts from a different model bike would fit our, let us know. Ya gotta admit...it's kinda sad that there's so little available already in black to spice up our rides.
I have to agree with you on this. I'm amazed that I cannot get a nice set of grips in black as opposed to a chrome set. :-(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have to agree with you on this. I'm amazed that I cannot get a nice set of grips in black as opposed to a chrome set. :-(

jd...check this out...there's a couple pairs of grips at the top of this page that caught my eye.

http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?AccCategoryID=2301&AccCategoryTypeID=0&BikeModelID=5764&ManufacturerID=0&BikeType=Cruiser&CompanyID=0&Start=21&orderby=ManufacturerName, PartName

...and check the post right above. i found some more on the mean cycles site. pricey, but niiiice :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fellow SE here. Same frustration with accesaries to complement the black. I just added the Baron big air kit with the black cover. Looks good on bike If your planning on ordering one of these be sure to ask the seller if is available. I ordered from a shop on ebay and after payment they told me it was on backorder for at least 30 days. I got a refund and ordered from meancycles which made sure they were able to get on for me. next up Power commander.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree, even with my old bike I hated chrome and found it hard to find accessories for.
For the SE I would love to find a black or titanium coloured luggage rack that doesn't require a back rest to attach to.
Ditto, I really would like to find one of these as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
yes, i too agree that theirs not much in black out there for the SE other than some of the stuff kawasaki has for it.but im still wondering why kawasaki didn't black out the frame on the SE, i do know that if time allows me i just might have to stripper down come fall and have the frame powdercoated black, hell i would do it right now in a heartbeat but riding season is here and i want to ride as much as i can. for now i will be adding the black tornado air kit or the black hypercharger from meancycles. happy riding.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
2010 Custom SE. Silver-gray seat panel replaced with black. Handlebars, lever supports/master cylinder, headlight rim and an aluminum license plate frame powder coated black. Turn signals, tail light frame and valve covers painted gloss black. Baron's black air cleaner (pinstriped). Arlen Ness 4 point mirrors, black. Cobra Speedster Sweeps, black. Clear lenses with chrome amber bulbs. Tail light clear lens with LED red bulb. Some work complete and the rest will be done after I get back from the States. In my opinion, it's a great project bike but as stated previous, shopping on the Internet for black in a sea of chrome is difficult.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2010 Custom SE. Silver-gray seat panel replaced with black. Handlebars, lever supports/master cylinder, headlight rim and an aluminum license plate frame powder coated black. Turn signals, tail light frame and valve covers painted gloss black. Baron's black air cleaner (pinstriped). Arlen Ness 4 point mirrors, black. Cobra Speedster Sweeps, black. Clear lenses with chrome amber bulbs. Tail light clear lens with LED red bulb. Some work complete and the rest will be done after I get back from the States. In my opinion, it's a great project bike but as stated previous, shopping on the Internet for black in a sea of chrome is difficult.
...pics! must...show...pics!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
...pics! must...show...pics!
Ha ha, I'll do something but hate to post any pics until it's done. My daughter's got a pile of parts for me to bring back but that won't be until the end of June. One word of warning. If you decide to get rid of the silver-gray stripes down the tank and fenders, the one on the tank is under the clear coat. Be ready to have the tank re-sprayed.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
2009 SE, here.

I painted some of the chrome (headlight/taillight) with the metallic gray color of the frame. I used RustOleum Metallic Paint - 244228 Metallic Charcoal, it's a near perfect match for the frame on my 900 Custom SE.

As you can see, I also replaced the mirrors, oil cap, master cylinder cover,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Angliam,

which mirrors are those?

also...did you remove the whole headlight assembly to paint the trim ring or just mask off the area. Which grit sandpaper did you use to prep the area for painting?

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
Angliam,

which mirrors are those?

also...did you remove the whole headlight assembly to paint the trim ring or just mask off the area. Which grit sandpaper did you use to prep the area for painting?
The mirrors are Koso Diamonds. I wouldn't recommend them...they shake a lot; I am looking to replace them soon.

I removed the trim and lightly sanded with 400 grit...just enough to texture the surface for painting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the heads up on the mirrors.

i'm fighting the urge to remove everything from the handlebars and paint it all the same color as the frame. any thoughts on the gas cap? found a good black one by any chance?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts