Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started reading some reviews about the good ol metzelers and my pops in Vegas personally had a bad time with them. He didn't blame the tire so much but the super dry climate. However I did read a few others had the same issue my pops did and that's the tire started chunking. Extremely unsafe and from what I've read was that it was from the tires made in brazil and that recently metzeler USA only will get their tires from Germany. I just got my eBay won tire in the mail today and see that it's been made in brazil. Was curious if I was the only one running a Brazilian Metz or if theres others and if they've had any issues what so ever.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
thanks for the heads up, I will check mine today. So far i have 7000 plus miles on mine and have had no issues, 5400 of that pulling a trailer. I have been impressed with the milage so far, but chuncking is chuncking, and that aint good.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I developed a nasty tread blister (read: 6" long) on my front Metz with only 9000 miles on it. I attributed it to road wear, although I have no recollection of hitting any debris or large potholes. I didn't look at where it was manufactured before replacing it.

I had a new Metz put on the front, that had a side swell develop after less than 4 days riding (200 miles), and it was rubbing the inner fender support. I took it back to the shop, and he felt the tread and inspected for road damage, eventually labelling it as a manufacturer defect. Again, I didn't check the origin, but thought it was odd.

He was out of Metz, so to immediately fulfill my need to ride, I went back to the Dunlop on the front.

This post makes me wonder, now... Hrrrrmmmmm....

The rear tire has near 10k miles on it now, rock solid, no issues. Tread would tend to indicate I've got anywhere from 6k-8k left too. Will try to eyeball the country of origin tonight.

·
Registered
163 Posts
not enough miles yet to say

Want I do know is that they are highly recommended and that I can without a doubt get the RPM range so much better for the 900. Going up to the 200 has been great for the bike and helped the looks a bit too. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
2000 miles on Metzs

Well, this thread got me wondering. Yup, got the boys from Brazil. Had them put on early this Spring, 2000 miles to date no problems. Much better than the stock Dunlops. The 200 rear has helped the gearing issues somewhat. Of course, after this thread every now and then while going down the highway at 75mph I now wonder, 'Wouldn't it be fun if the tire started flying into chunks now?' Other than that image, still enjoying my tires. How many here have had problems with Brasilian tires, and if so, about how many miles did you have when you started having troubles?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I had 14000 on my rear and still running the front with 16000 on it. I can take some pictures of it if needed. Changed out the rear cause I sold the wheel, and replaced with another Metzler on the spoke rear classic wheel that now has about 4000 on it. No chunking and I am pretty sure they are from Brazil. But the climate here in St. Louie is much more humid than Vegas.....:-(

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Just checked. 10k trouble free miles, and it's "Made in Brazil". I went over the tire with care today, didn't see any unusual wear or damage.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses taking mine to get mounted tomorrow. I wrote metzler and here's what I got back

Hello

It unfortunate that forums/chat rooms can put out information that does not accurately explain the situation. For your information Metzeler manufactures tires in three different factories around the world. We have two factories in Germany and one in Brazil. We build the majority of our bias ply tires in Brazil and the other main factory in Germany specializes in radial tires, so the bottom line is the country of manufacture has no effect on quality the parent company does.

As a company that actively interacts with the dealers and consumers at rallies and events across the country we see way too many bikes being riding with tires grossly under inflated. This lack of correct air pressure or using the incorrect non approved tires is causing the majority of the complaints, but you never can read or see this on the forums and hence where the mis-information comes from.

We always suggest that consumers use our brochure or web site as a reference for fitment and air pressure requirements. These brochures can be picked up at a local dealer, from a dealer at a rally, In closing please note if you do have a problem the Metzeler dealer to consumer warranty policy is in place so your dealer can help you if needed. Thank you again and we hope this information is helpful and used properly.

US Metzeler Moto
www.us.metzelermoto.com
877 202-4993

·
Registered
358 Posts
Today I found a v-shaped split on the contact patch, straight splits inside 2 of the grooves and 4 cracks across the tread just outside the contact patch! Running 40 psi, 90% highway miles, and only 4,000 miles on the tire! WTF!

As this is obviously an unsafe condition, there'll be no riding this weekend. Stuck in the cage. Aaaarrrgghhh! I'm not a happy camper.

Tried to call Metzeler and got voicemail.
I'll let you all know how they handle my situation.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Metzeler's reply - looks like I have to deal with MotorcycleSuperstore.com.
The following is the reply I received from Metzeler regarding the unusual damage I found on my rear tire:

Hello

We are sorry to hear this has happened, and Metzeler does offer (as do the other tire companies) a dealer to consumer warranty procedure/policy and it is shown below. We would suggest that you review the information below and contact the selling or installing dealer for assistance. If you or the dealer have any questions at all we can be contacted at your convenience. This office is open 8 am to 6 pm EST Monday to Friday.

Sincerely
NA Metzeler Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993

WARRANTY
Metzeler Motorcycle Tires are covered for the life of the tire. Street tire life is defined by the tread area of the tire having a tread depth of 1 mm or more. Off road and or Motocross tire life is defined by the tread area of the tire having a remaining tread depth of at least 20% of the original new tread depth. This warranty policy is extended to the first retail purchaser of the tire in the U.S. and Canada with the original purchase invoice.

HOW TO MAKE A WARRANTY CLAIM
OWNER: Take bike (or tire/wheel only) to local dealer for inspection/adjustment/replacement.
DEALER:
(A) If vibration related, check lateral and radial run-out, balance, and air pressure.
(B) If tire is clearly out of specified tolerances replace the tire free of charge (labor not included) if tread depth is more than 50% of the original tread depth. If the tire has less than 50% of the original depth, charge the customer a 50% prorated amount based on the tire's original tread depth.
(C) Contact Metzeler for assistance.

REPLACEMENT COSTS
If a Metzeler tire is found to be warrantable during the first 50% of tread wear, it will be replaced by a similar model and size tire at no charge. After the first 50% of tread wear the tire will be prorated at a value of 50% off the consumers current price up to the last 1mm or the last 20% of a off road or MX tire tread. (Dealers will obtain warranty from their distributor, based on current suggested dealer prices).

WHAT IS COVERED
Tires that have manufacturing or material anomalies are covered under the warranty. Out of round, lateral or radial run out of more than 1.3 mm from center line, and out of balance (more than 2.8 ounces (80 grams) on most tires, 3.5 ounces (100 grams) on larger-sized touring tires) are examples of justified warranty claims. Claims for non-uniformity or any ride related condition will be accepted within the first 0.5 mm of tread wear.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
* Tires worn beyond the last 1 mm of tread depth.
* Labor to install replacement tire.
* Tires that have been damaged by road hazards, including but not limited to impact breaks, punctures, and cuts.
* Claims for irregular wear.
* Tires used on a vehicle towing a trailer.
* Tires on any motorcycle registered and normally operated outside the United States of America or Canada.
* Tires which were retreaded, regrooved, or changed in pattern or profile.
* Tires, which have been modified by the addition or removal of material, or any tire intentionally altered to change its appearance.
* Tires injected with liquid balancer or sealant or in which anything other than air or nitrogen has been used as the support medium.
* Tires removed as a pair when only one tire can be claimed, or is suspect of a claim.
* Tires with weather cracking which were purchased more than four years prior to presentation/inspection for adjustment. (If no proof of purchase date is available, tires manufactured four or more years prior to presentation for adjustment.)
* Racing and track day use constitutes extreme use and voids all expressed and implied warranties.
* Tire unserviceability caused by tire operation in excess of tire/wheel manufacturers' specifications and recommendations.
* Tires, which are misapplied due to insufficient speed rating, load index or undersized or oversized tires.
* Tires which become unserviceable because excessive spinning or brake locking.
* Tires, which become unserviceable because of a mechanical irregularity such as misalignment, defective brakes, defective suspension, or improper rims.
* Tires affected by flat spotting caused by improper transport or storage.
* Tires damaged by fire, chemical corrosion, vandalism, wrecks, theft, and run while flat, under inflated, over inflated, or abused during servicing.
* Tires damaged from improper mounting/dismounting practices.
* Tire dealer/retailer services (e.g., mounting, dismounting, balancing, and alignment).
* There is no warranty for any type of mileage claim.

OWNER'S RESPONSIBILITIES
The owner/rider is responsible for proper tire care and maintenance. Maintain the
correct tire pressure recommended by the motorcycle manufacturer by frequently checking the tire pressure with an accurate pressure gauge.

CAUTION:
Please be aware that it is important to ensure that, before fitting the suggested tires, the fitting is allowed by the technical specifications of the motorcycle, the motorcycle manufacturer and the relevant homologations. Metzeler tire does not express any view as to the compatibility of the wheel/tire combination with the technical specifications for the chassis and motorcycle.

TO MAINTAIN MOTORCYCLE DYNAMICS AND LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY, REPLACEMENT TIRES MUST ALWAYS HAVE A LOAD INDEX AND SPEED RATING THAT COVERS THE MAXIMUM SPEED AND THE MAXIMUM WHEEL LOAD OF THE MOTORCYCLE.

LIMITED WARRANTY CLAUSE
This warranty is expressly in lieu of all other warranties, expressed or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for use and of all other obligations or liabilities on Metzeler's part, and Metzeler neither assumes, nor authorizes, any other person to assume for it any other liability in connection with the sale of Metzeler tires. This warranty shall not apply to Metzeler tires which have been subject to accident, negligence, alteration, abuse or misuse. The above warranty shall not apply to defects resulting from any use and maintenance of the product other than in strict accordance with the recommended use and maintenance instructions of Metzeler. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have others under law.

EXCLUSIVE REMEDY
Manufacturer's sole obligation and the purchaser's exclusive remedy shall be limited to the replacement of the product at the manufacturer's option. Manufacturer shall not be liable for proximate, incidental, or consequential damages except where limited or prohibited by law.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Metzeler's reply - looks like I have to deal with MotorcycleSuperstore.com.
The following is the reply I received from Metzeler regarding the unusual damage I found on my rear tire:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

* Tires, which are misapplied due to insufficient speed rating, load index or undersized or oversized tires.

Hmmmmm....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
They seem to have a vary short list on what is covered for what I consider a high end tire.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Though I think any tire you buy might have some problems here or there, I think I will steer clear of the Metz. and go with Avon or others when I switch mine out before next season. I have 7k on my original and it is just about time. Looks like Metz. is the highest priced tire anyway. Sounds like the runaround, anytime I have had a defective cager tire the shop always blames it on not being rotated enough, or low tire pressure which I know is not true.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
They seem to have a vary short list on what is covered for what I consider a high end tire.
I'd say it's pretty much boilerplate, having worked in warranty, just that very few people bother to read the fine print on anything they buy.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Sounds like the runaround, anytime I have had a defective cager tire the shop always blames it on not being rotated enough, or low tire pressure which I know is not true.
I know...it just sucks doesn't it, when the people that make stuff actually know what causes it to break too.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Now, directly related to the Metz tires, I have one on the back of my VN2K. It's an OK tire, but not sure yet if I'll be a repeat customer. Haven't had any quality problems show up so far, but to me (and my girlfriend) the rear end feels more squirmy than it did with the Bridgestone Battlax (BT-023??), and tread life doesn't appear to be a big improvement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts