Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all...
I own my 2009 Vulcan now for about 2 months and rode it for about 2000 miles.
As I came from a long time sport bikes and thought, this bike will slow me down- I was not disappointed. I found the pleasure in slow movement, even though I sometimes miss the twist with the wrist catapulting you into regions, the vulcan would be far out.
From this point- I enjoy the bike.
The only issue I have is, that after this time, I still can't get comfortable with the foot position. I'm about 6ft (I don't know- could be 5'9") and my knee is somewhere right in front of the V on the tank. I don't know- but for me, I always feel like I have to force my feet onto the pegs. I sit cramped and it just doesn't feel right. I couldn't figure out so far, what the problem is. This morning, I almost had a cramp from sitting this way that I stretched my right leg and laid it with the calves on the peg. and that felt actually good. so I did it with the left leg too and holla- that was the most comfortable position I ever experienced on this vulcan. I talked to a guy at work now and he had similar issue- he said- it might be the bike is too little for you.
The issue is, I had long discussions with my wife and I promised her not to buy one of those 0-60 in 1.5 seconds things and she is still not happy, but not as much worried. I also want to avoid to have to go and buy another bike (I never had a cruiser before and never even sat on one- as I test drove it, it felt weird, but I thought I'll grow into it).
That's to the problem I have.
Now the question- Is there a possibility to move the pegs maybe 2-3 inches forward? or is there another solution? I would be thankful for suggestions, as I don't want to have more discussions with my wife, trying to explain her, why I need another bike- btw- which would not be another cruiser anymore. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 Cafe ABS
368 Posts
Does the 900 have adjustable foot pegs like Vulcan S? Is an extended reach seat available? I know on my KVS I was able to adjust these things till I was comfortable. I test drove the 900 and didn't feel comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
You can either find an extension kit like this one. Or you can pick up an aftermarket forward controls set. If you search google for vn900 forward controls you should find a few options.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can either find an extension kit like this one. Or you can pick up an aftermarket forward controls set. If you search google for vn900 forward controls you should find a few options.
Super- thank you. I did not know. I googled and found those- supposedly 4"... and the reviews looking good too...

·
Registered
2021 Vulcan 900 Custom
74 Posts
I really doubt the 900 would be too small a bike for anyone of a relatively normal height. Ergos are a funny thing tho - what works for 90% of people your height just might not feel right for you.

Do you have the stock seat? Small changes to angles and distances can make a big perceived difference so if you were considering swapping that it might be worth trying that before you extend the pegs. Extending the pegs would be the cheaper way to go but if you're used to sportier bikes the standard or rear set pegs I'd be surprised to hear that long reach pegs wouldn't feel weird to you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really doubt the 900 would be too small a bike for anyone of a relatively normal height. Ergos are a funny thing tho - what works for 90% of people your height just might not feel right for you.

Do you have the stock seat? Small changes to angles and distances can make a big perceived difference so if you were considering swapping that it might be worth trying that before you extend the pegs. Extending the pegs would be the cheaper way to go but if you're used to sportier bikes the standard or rear set pegs I'd be surprised to hear that long reach pegs wouldn't feel weird to you.
Thanks. Yes, I tried to sit bit further back yesterday on my way home. I sat there where the seat goes up. It was not comfy for my butt, but it seemed like the legs feel better.
I thought about standard pegs but the exhaust is right there and the bike is too low, I'd scratch them off on monthly basis.
I'll try the extension.

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
136 Posts
Is this a Classic or a Custom? I ask, because I am 6’3” and fit comfortably on my Custom.

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
324 Posts
Is this a Classic or a Custom? I ask, because I am 6’3” and fit comfortably on my Custom.
Also 6’3”, and fit fine on a classic. I’d recommend crash bars with highway pegs. I can easily (and comfortably) stay in the saddle for an extra hour with them. Stretching out is a game changer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, I feel like we need more information. You said pegs not floorboards so I am assuming you are riding a custom? Any chance your better half could take a pic of you on the bike? Like someone previously said, small adjustments can make a big difference. Shocks can be tweaked. Won't add much room, but a little can mean a lot. The angle of the handlebars can make a big difference in your riding position, too. I rode half of last summer never feeling comfortable and rotated my stock bars up, added 2" risers. It made a big difference in how much "in control" I felt at low speeds, but still wasn't perfect. This summer I rotated the bars down just one notch and it has made a huge difference in my comfort level on the bike.

A pic could help some of our more knowledgeable members diagnose an issue before you spend big money on aftermarket forward controls. Since you are a previous sport rider and could tuck your feet and ankles more underneath you, it seems odd that putting your feet forward should make you feel more cramped.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I feel like we need more information. You said pegs not floorboards so I am assuming you are riding a custom? Any chance your better half could take a pic of you on the bike? Like someone previously said, small adjustments can make a big difference. Shocks can be tweaked. Won't add much room, but a little can mean a lot. The angle of the handlebars can make a big difference in your riding position, too. I rode half of last summer never feeling comfortable and rotated my stock bars up, added 2" risers. It made a big difference in how much "in control" I felt at low speeds, but still wasn't perfect. This summer I rotated the bars down just one notch and it has made a huge difference in my comfort level on the bike.

A pic could help some of our more knowledgeable members diagnose an issue before you spend big money on aftermarket forward controls. Since you are a previous sport rider and could tuck your feet and ankles more underneath you, it seems odd that putting your feet forward should make you feel more cramped.
It's a custom.
The issue is, that the position of my feet does not feel natural and especially at higher speed on the interstate it feels like I have to push my feet onto the pegs, which cramps me up. I'm used to hang the heels in the pegs and let my knees hanging.
I actually tried to dit further back- on the actual hump on the seat and it feels much better- just uncomfortable on my butt. When I lay my calves on the pegs and sit normal on the seat, it's also good. I'm more the longer legs, shorter body guy.
I order me the pegs next week (wife is doing the budget) and see, how it goes. I hate those crash bars. Not on my bike. Seen it with pegs on them- just don't like the looks.
I also thought about taking some foam out of the hump that I can slide back further. I do that if the pegs are not a 100% success.
I like the original handle bar of the custom- but next might be a bit higher and further back to be able to sit more up right.
Slowly I think, I should had bought a touring bike. But now, I have to deal with what I have, so I'm sure, I get it to fit.
Thanks for y'alls suggestions. I will consider it.
It's not how it looks, it's how I feel. And right now, the bike feels too small for me. Hope the extension is giving me, what I hope it does.

·
Registered
311 Posts
put a set of crash bars on it, and bolt a set of pegs to it. you'll still have to shift and brake in the usual spot, but for cruising, you'll have alot more than 4" of stretch.
i've also had jardine forwards on a couple of my other bikes, and they were great too. i don't know if jardine makes them to fit the vulcan. i had them on an intruder

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey y'all...
I own my 2009 Vulcan now for about 2 months and rode it for about 2000 miles.
As I came from a long time sport bikes and thought, this bike will slow me down- I was not disappointed. I found the pleasure in slow movement, even though I sometimes miss the twist with the wrist catapulting you into regions, the vulcan would be far out.
From this point- I enjoy the bike.
The only issue I have is, that after this time, I still can't get comfortable with the foot position. I'm about 6ft (I don't know- could be 5'9") and my knee is somewhere right in front of the V on the tank. I don't know- but for me, I always feel like I have to force my feet onto the pegs. I sit cramped and it just doesn't feel right. I couldn't figure out so far, what the problem is. This morning, I almost had a cramp from sitting this way that I stretched my right leg and laid it with the calves on the peg. and that felt actually good. so I did it with the left leg too and holla- that was the most comfortable position I ever experienced on this vulcan. I talked to a guy at work now and he had similar issue- he said- it might be the bike is too little for you.
The issue is, I had long discussions with my wife and I promised her not to buy one of those 0-60 in 1.5 seconds things and she is still not happy, but not as much worried. I also want to avoid to have to go and buy another bike (I never had a cruiser before and never even sat on one- as I test drove it, it felt weird, but I thought I'll grow into it).
That's to the problem I have.
Now the question- Is there a possibility to move the pegs maybe 2-3 inches forward? or is there another solution? I would be thankful for suggestions, as I don't want to have more discussions with my wife, trying to explain her, why I need another bike- btw- which would not be another cruiser anymore. Thanks in advance.
I have a 09 custom, I put 10 inch apes on it and I love it. Do not like the original bar. They help ALOT. Cables work Just reroute them. I think with ur height you'd like this arrangement alot better. Mine cost about 60 bucks. You do need to buy the handlebar holders. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2008 900 Classic LT with the floorboards. Never rode with floorboards before and I have pretty much the opposite feel. It is definitely a forward reach. You might try (if they are compatible) the floorboard setup with the dual shifter lever. I do have the Mustang seat which I think helps me have more seating positions, depending on how I'm riding. I sometimes even fold the backrest forward to give me support with a closer to tank position. Long rides necessitate folding it back to the upright position. Definetly get The one with the driver backrest. Feels great! The bars do feel a little far reached and am considering the risers to see if that puts me in more control. I'm 5-8", and sorta short stride, so it is a long reach to me for flat footing the boards or front gear lever or brake pedal. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2007 Vulcan Custom 900
6 Posts
I have this exact issue. I get a cramp in the muscle on the top of my thigh connecting to my torso as the peg placement puts a weird pressure in the area when I ride for longer periods.
Will wait to her back on those forward controls.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have this exact issue. I get a cramp in the muscle on the top of my thigh connecting to my torso as the peg placement puts a weird pressure in the area when I ride for longer periods.
Will wait to her back on those forward controls.
Installed them todey- wow. Best thing I've done so far. Feet are now in perfect position. Worth every penny. Didn't have my phone in the building- make pictures later.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I’ve heard this complaint from several custom riders and it always seems to be people 5/10 thru 6/0. Weird that guys taller than that don’t seem to have an issue. Something with the geometry on that bike I guess. Happy to hear the forward controls worked out though….I see a mustang seat in your future, lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve heard this complaint from several custom riders and it always seems to be people 5/10 thru 6/0. Weird that guys taller than that don’t seem to have an issue. Something with the geometry on that bike I guess. Happy to hear the forward controls worked out though….I see a mustang seat in your future, lol
I actually sit comfy on the seat. I had sport bikes before. 2500 mile round trip through Europe on a 94 FZR1000 in 5 days and everything feels comfortable after that 🤣
Only bad thing, seems I ordered silver instead of black. Was over a week shipping- they said, I can exchange, but I didn't wanted to wait another 2 weeks, so I thought keeping them. If I don't like it, down the road is a guy who does pulver coating. Maybe in the winter...
Here a picture:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Crankset Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that don't look half bad, really. it surprises me, because it's not what i would have guessed.
Thanks- I've seen a few pictures with them- that's why I bought them- there are nicer ones out there- for sure- but it's always- how much money are you willing to spend to see, if something works or not. I'm also positively surprised- they don't look bad at all- and it's Aluminum. Everything came with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts